Update KB3074678

Reaction score
Broke my sound system. No sounds at all now with Creative Z Card that was working ok just minutes before the update ran.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Right click the speaker icon down by the clock and choose Playback Devices.
Confirm that your "Speakers" are select as "Default".
Highlight your "speakers" and click the properties button.
Select the advanced tab and use the drop down arrow to start experimenting with the various sample rate formats available, using the test button until you find one that works.
Hope that helps, although some of these recent updates have seriously messed with some settings, so IDK if it will.

Reaction score
I had taken it all the way down to tape recorder quality but nothing works. No evidence of a driver update or any other sound event that might have done anything. Looks like MS has done something somewhere to totally bork my sounds. My other computer with on board sound is still working except for no sound from the rear speakers.

Also appears to have broken my sleep mode on this machine. My other computer is snoozing peacefully in sleep mode after the update. Irritating not having sound here as this is the machine I've been playing my Assassin's Creed Rogue game on and it is not fun playing it without sound.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't suppose uninstalling that particular update might help??

Reaction score
Uninstalled update and that pretty much fubarred my system. I couldn't get it to boot and was going to do a restore from a TODO backup but couldn't get it to boot from DVD. On the third try it finally booted into the TODO backup program and I was able to restore a system backup from a couple days ago. Got sound working again and started installing updates. Got to the NVIDIA card update and it seemed hung up on installing the driver. Looked in device manager and it stated a restart was necessary for the card to work properly. Update was still hung on the installing part. Did a restart and device manager showed card working properly and the new driver number. Windows update showed the driver update failed and to try again later. Same exact thing happened on my other computer also running an NVIDIA card. Feedback site is filled with posts about video card update failures.

I'm not sure I would advise anyone to update to Windows 10 come 29th unless they are prepared to deal with possible issues.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with a nVidia GPU driver update. I think there is just something furbar'd with that not even sure it is a for real update as I can't seem to find anything identifying the version number.

Reaction score
Windows has forced two Nvidia driver updates and neither show up on the Nvidia driver list for my cards. Given Microsoft's poor track record for driver updates I would think they would back off and limit forced updates to Microsoft products and security. Windows update process itself may have a gremlin that needs to be gotten rid of. I wonder why Nvidia hasn't posted these new drivers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wonder why Nvidia hasn't posted these new drivers.
IDK... maybe because they are Windows 10 Specific and the only people who would need them, would be Windows Insiders, so working hand in hand with Microsoft makes Windows Updates a suitable way to get them disseminated. At least that is the BS rumor, I've heard.
Ran Windows Updates again late last night and now again first thing this morning and no nVidia driver. The failed install is still in my Update History, but it doesn't seem to have found that it needed it again.

Ask a Question