SOLVED Update Kb3172985 Or Kb3173428??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
All good here except that for some reason Spell Check stopped working in Internet Explorer, which is the same thing that happened after the last update.
That time I went back to a system image and all was good again. This time I'm going to let it go. With only a little more than two weeks before the Redstone rollout, I can manage without it.
Although it is very strange, as it works in Edge, works in Chrome, works in Firefox..... just IE has the problem.
Besides now it looks like I never make a speeling mistake.

Reaction score
Trouble Spell check works well here on the forum. You can temporarily use Word until spell check is resolved in IE

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Enterprise evaluation Build 10586 on an ASUS M32 Series, I-5 quad w/o Hyperthreading, 8 GB DDR4, 1 TB HD, MoBo ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. M32CD_A_F_K20CD_K31CD Rev 1.xx with onboard Intel 530 HD graphics plus Wifi and Bluetooth. One of the last two updates (update KB3172985 or KB3173428) have totally trashed my system. I come home from work to find my email client "Thunderbird" uninstalled and my archived emails gone. Yesterday, I was able to do a restore to get my email back. Today, Firefox was gone, Thunderbird was gone, the Windows key, file explorer and start button did not work. I got into control panel by by right clicking on desktop. A front door approach to Restore did not find any restore points. I ended up running a trouble shooter. It recomended Restore. clicking that link found a restore point for 7/13. The first attempt failed. A second attempt was reported as sucessful but I found that all of my browser passwords were missing. THIS IS NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN! If tomorrows update does the same, I think that I shall opt for a stable Linux install. Did anyone else have their system trashed?

Reaction score
Gary Sorry to hear that, it's not fun rebuilding what you have lost.
It seems to me that Tornado's are more predictable than Windows 10 updates are. You can prepare for a Tornado, the only user defense it seems against updates is to create a Restore point on Monday's and keep your fingers crossed, because even Restore is hit and miss. The changes that MS created with Windows 10 are so complex, MS don't even know how disastrous their updates can have on users PC's.

TWW

Reaction score
Hi I did both KB3173428 and KB3172985 together right after I did a system image restore from a safe build. Before the 2 upgrades, I was able to open control panel and uninstall programs there the old way. After the 2 upgrades, I can open the control panel but the program list does not show up when I click on uninstall programs (nothing happens when you click on uninstall, like the function is locked out). Is this intentional and we can now only use setting->system->apps to uninstall apps? i just wish to know to rule out the possibility of virus. thanks~

Actually I just tried to click on everything under control panel, nothing is clickable like all the features are locked out. BTW I am using a 2 year old PC that was upgraded from win 8.1.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just checked Program and Features is working fine here. I would create a restore point, turn off the PC and let it reboot. to see if your program works.You could also try a restore to a time before the problem surfaced.

TWW

Reaction score
I just checked Program and Features is working fine here. I would create a restore point, turn off the PC and let it reboot. to see if your program works.You could also try a restore to a time before the problem surfaced.
Ok, I will try it now. Thanks for the advice :)

TWW

Reaction score
All right, I did a restore to a previous point and the control panel was ok. Then immediately after the patch updates the control panel was disabled again. This seems only happens to my PC. My NB has no problem with the updates. I guess I will wait and see if future updates will work itself out. Thanks

Reaction score
TWW Yes! I would wait and see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks for the update.

TWW

Reaction score
Hi I did both KB3173428 and KB3172985 together right after I did a system image restore from a safe build. Before the 2 upgrades, I was able to open control panel and uninstall programs there the old way. After the 2 upgrades, I can open the control panel but the program list does not show up when I click on uninstall programs (nothing happens when you click on uninstall, like the function is locked out). Is this intentional and we can now only use setting->system->apps to uninstall apps? i just wish to know to rule out the possibility of virus. thanks~

Actually I just tried to click on everything under control panel, nothing is clickable like all the features are locked out. BTW I am using a 2 year old PC that was upgraded from win 8.1.

Updating to the anniversary update and problem is solved! Thanks for the nice patch ^^

Ask a Question