Update now over 20g overnight.

Reaction score
Since updating to Win10, my data usage has shot up to being totally out of control. In the month of October, so far my PC has downloaded over 15g eight time, peaking at 29g on 13th October (uploads are small, so not anything nasty). Total usage for the month is 150g, almost all being overnight updates. My update history looks normal, just Windows Defender on the 12th & 13th, nothing else. My router shows that the downloads are really happening, and there are no external devices connecting. It does not look like normal TC-PIP traffic as IP diagnostics don't see much, but not sure. Strange thing is, since I turned on "Defer upgrades" in advances options, data usage has come back to normal, but Windows Defender is still updating. This tells me the update process is very strange and and almost a complete mystery to us users. Anyone else seen this problem??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
With the native tool I have at hand, I am not seeing anything approaching what you are seeing.
My last 30 days of data usage is showing this.

DataUsage.JPG

What program are you using to obtain the information you are apparently seeing.

Reaction score
If you click on usage details, it will tell you exactly what's using your bandwidth. I use a ton of bandwidth, and even I'm not seeing that kind of usage.

Attachments

• Clipboard01923754.jpg
    Clipboard01923754.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 472
Reaction score
My router (Vigor 2820) shows the data attached for 13th, not much since as I turned updates. W10 usage does not show this, but something is being downloaded. My normal usage prior to Win10 was ~25g/month. See attached ISP usage. I have 3 PC's updated, but 2 have not been used this month (don't want all 3 doing this!!)

Attachments

• Vigor.jpg
    Vigor.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 477
  • Usage.jpg
    Usage.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 451
Reaction score
Are you sure it's YOUR PC's using this data? I'd look at the usage utility in Windows 10 (like Trouble said), to see if this is you. It will also break down what apps are using how much data. Your graph tells how much bandwidth is being used, not who's using it.

Reaction score
Yes, I am certain it is this PC using it, reinforced by since turning on "Defer upgrades" a week ago, download levels have returned to normal. I will turn this off again now and see if the issues returns.

Ask a Question