Update removed programs

Reaction score
I think my Windows 10 was updated today and now Microsoft Edge is no longer available, and apps such as calculator are no longer visible in the drop down menu. Also, the start menu (I don't know what it is called but it used to appear to the right of the drop down menu and contained programs that I use frequently) is no longer visible. Microsoft Edge has been removed from the task bar at the bottom of the screen. I didn't do anything to cause these changes. I have tried to reset the computer to an earlier time but that has failed. What is going on? Help please!

Regedit32

Reaction score
What Windows Version are you on?

Right-click Start > Run > type winver > click ok

If you have no access to Start then try pressing Windows Key and R key together to open Run dialog.

Latest build is 14393.953

Reaction score
You can just type winver in the start, also

This is the recommendation for your problem, according to Microsoft:

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2. Click File > Run New Task.

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

4. Type Powershell

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window.

7. Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

Reaction score
What Windows Version are you on?

Right-click Start > Run > type winver > click ok

If you have no access to Start then try pressing Windows Key and R key together to open Run dialog.

Latest build is 14393.953
That is the one I have... Should I go ahead with davehc's suggestion? (Thanks)

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes I agree, it's is worth trying what Dave said.

Hope it works out for you.

Reaction score
You can just type winver in the start, also

This is the recommendation for your problem, according to Microsoft:

1. Open the Task manager. Here’s a tip: Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.

2. Click File > Run New Task.

3. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges

4. Type Powershell

5. Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

6. Close the Powershell window.

7. Reboot the computer and check if it helps.
Thanks for the suggestion davehc. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference. There is no sign of Microsoft Edge on my computer (I checked installed programs in control panel) and little apps such as calculator seem to have disappeared. Do I have to reinstall all the missing programs? Also, how do I replace the start menu that used to appear to the right of the dropdown menu when I clicked the start button on the lower left corner of the screen?

Reaction score
Oh yes. You must reboot. But you have taken me by surprise with the absence, also, of the start menu.
But, if after a restart, there is still nothing, go through a similar path and do this:

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ Keys on the keyboard.
  2. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ to bring up an elevated command prompt.
    Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.

3. In the command prompt type in the following commands one by one and then press Enter.

4. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow
Once again - Reboot.

Reaction score
Oh yes. You must reboot. But you have taken me by surprise with the absence, also, of the start menu.
But, if after a restart, there is still nothing, go through a similar path and do this:

1. Press ‘Windows + X’ Keys on the keyboard.
  2. Click on ‘Command Prompt (Admin)’ to bring up an elevated command prompt.
    Note: Click ‘Yes’ if it prompts for permission.

3. In the command prompt type in the following commands one by one and then press Enter.

4. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
sfc /scannow

Once again - Reboot.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did the above commands and rebooted and nothing has changed. I will be content if I can replace the start menu items that used to appear to the right of the dropdown app menu that appears when I click on the lower left of the screen. Sorry if my description is not very technical. I don't know what that area is called. Are you able to tell me how to do that? If I can get that far, I can download the missing programs and then add the programs that were deleted from the taskbar. Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Don't worry. I can translate what you are saying OK.
Problem is that if you are not seeing the Apps/Start5 menu, then the same problem persists in the right hand graphical icon menu.
Quite honestly, as you have attempted a recovery and it failed, I would suggest your only option is a reinstall. As your computer has already registered Windows 10 with the Microsoft servers, this can be accomplished with no cost to yourself.
A couple of questions.
1. Was your computer acquired with Windows 10 already installed, or
was it an upgrade from an earlier OS. (Or was Windows 10 downloaded and installed, from another source. If the latter, it could be a corrupted download.
2. You state, in your first post, that you did nothing to incur these problems. You had not, previously incorporated any registry hacks for any reason, in particular to circumvent the automatic update process?

Regedit32

Reaction score
OK doing a Reset or in-place upgrade is certainly an option as Dave suggests.

Before going there though there is a couple of things you ought to attempt, which are simple to do, and might resolve the Start Menu issue.

First
  • Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager toolbar select File > Run new task
  • Check the box next to Create this task with administrative privileges and in the Open field type CMD then click OK
  • Now in the Command console type SFC /SCANNOW then press Enter key

This may find and repair errors that will resolve your issue with the Start menu. If that fails to work though then there is one other option worth trying.

Second
  • Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager toolbar select File > Run new task
  • Check the box next to Create this task with administrative privileges and in the Open field type CMD then click OK
  • Now in the Command console type or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced" /v EnableXAMLStartMenu /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key to execute command.

Close the Command console

Close any other open programs then reboot your computer for changes.

Again this may resolve the Start menu issue.

If neither of these resolve the issue then you will as Dave suggested in all likelihood need to Reset the computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Just to add. I suggested a reinstall. I can see you have attempted a reset and it failed.
Either way, We hope with mine or Reedits suggestions, you get it sorted out. Please give some feedback as there may be even more suggestions forthcoming from other members.
Incidentally. What was the result of running Winver? Perhaps there is still a further update which would solve the problem.

Reaction score
Don't worry. I can translate what you are saying OK.
Problem is that if you are not seeing the Apps/Start5 menu, then the same problem persists in the right hand graphical icon menu.
Quite honestly, as you have attempted a recovery and it failed, I would suggest your only option is a reinstall. As your computer has already registered Windows 10 with the Microsoft servers, this can be accomplished with no cost to yourself.
A couple of questions.
1. Was your computer acquired with Windows 10 already installed, or
was it an upgrade from an earlier OS. (Or was Windows 10 downloaded and installed, from another source. If the latter, it could be a corrupted download.
2. You state, in your first post, that you did nothing to incur these problems. You had not, previously incorporated any registry hacks for any reason, in particular to circumvent the automatic update process?
I purchased my computer with Windows 10 already installed. I did not circumvent the automatic update process except to delay restarting until I finished what I was doing on the computer.
I am hesitant to reinstall Windows 10 because I have been told that the downloaded version of Windows 10 has some problems compared to the factory installed version. I see that there is another suggestion after this and will have a look at that.
The two main programs/apps that were removed from the taskbar are MS Edge and my virus program (Webroot). However, I now notice that the default browser is still Edge (I am using it now after opening it through a link from email) so it is still on the computer but not on the dropdown list of apps. (I'm not sure if any of this information is useful for the resolution of the problem but might explain it a bit more.)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can you not just type Microsoft Edge in Cortana / Search box then right-click on it when it appears in list and pin to Start and/or Taskbar?

Ditto for the anti virus program you mentioned.

Reaction score
Can you not just type Microsoft Edge in Cortana / Search box then right-click on it when it appears in list and pin to Start and/or Taskbar?

Ditto for the anti virus program you mentioned.
When I do that, I get the message "No results found for 'Microsoft Edge'

Reaction score
I took a screenshot of an online image to show what is missing from my computer. This image is not of my computer - just one form a website showing the best features of Windows 10.

Attachments

• Start Tiles.JPG
    Start Tiles.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 442
Reaction score
I took a screenshot of an online image to show what is missing from my computer. This image is not of my computer - just one form a website showing the best features of Windows 10.
I have figured out how to replace the start tiles but some programs, including HP Scan and Capture, seem to be missing from the dropdown menu. I don't really know why the original tile setup, including categories, is gone.

Reaction score
I found another post that seems to show the same problem that I am having: "Life at a glance icons missing"
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/life-at-a-glance-icons-missing.6611/#post-31536
One solution that has worked is
Right-click the start button, select "Command prompt (Admin)" and type powershell. Then type:

Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted
And then

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Does this sound reasonable? I am really hesitant to start doing things in Command prompt (Admin).

Reaction score
You have already tried it from my posts #3 (If you followed the instruction?) It is the same command line just reordered.

Ask a Question