Update woes and a possible solution

Reaction score
Hi. I'm kind of old and have been using Windows for years. Something I've noticed and perhaps your team has heard it or thought about my idea before, but here it is in the simplest form:

Why not build into your updates an error producing reason - not a general code number or statement (for the end user) specifying what the problem is so the user has to do a specific task to get the update to install? For example: I tried numerous times to update Win10 Pro and at 52% (each time), I received a general message that read: "Windows could not configure one or more components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the installation." Well, that statement is of no help whatsoever. As a user, I had to write down the message and then go out to Google and try to find the answer. In my search, I found there were numerous things from a huge host of users with suggestions of things to try.

It would have been so much better for Microsoft to have a built-in Tracking Device that "knows" and points to the reason the update installation stopped. So, something to this effect: Your update has paused at this point because....blah...blah. Please change the following setting(s) to.... and the update will continue. The update stopped because it encountered a problem at line.... People, generally, who are not familiar with the computer, need their hands held and walked through a problem. If there is more than one issue, then the Tracking Device could point to the next area that needs their attention. This solution could make a tremendous impact on user frustration and inability to resolve problems.

Last edited:

Ask a Question