Updating causes problems

Reaction score
My latest update fails and keeps on failing.....

The latest update to appear is this file below:-

• 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

When the update initializes, after a while this message appears 'Diagnosing PC' followed, after a lengthy pause, by 'Attempting Repairs', another lengthy pause and the message 'We cannot complete the update, Undoing Changes, Don't turn off your computer'.

I then left my machine on to allow an auto update at a specific time slot. When I returned next morning, the PC had turned off so I assumed that the file had loaded, I switched on and the first message to appear was 'Diagnosing PC' it continued as before until it completed 'We cannot complete the update etc.'

Anyone with similar problems?

How can I prevent this update from trying to load?

Reaction score
I had the same problem for over a week, windows update assistant would fail, retry, fail etc. . In the end I researched my event logs and ESET anti virus logs, and found my ESET Anti V software was not allowing some updates to go through, but microsoft's assistant was carrying on regardless until the inevitable fail. Hence I disabled my ESET software for 3 hrs (to allow for restarts of the system, but not having my AV enabling on startup). Waited for the Assistant to fail again with 'Hide" or 'Retry' then loaded the creation tool - link listed above, and retried successfully. Once my system was stable and I was satisfied with it, I did a disk clean and found my update folder was 40GB (normally 270mb). So not only was it failing but it was also keeping the update failures.

Reaction score
I had the same problem for over a week, windows update assistant would fail, retry, fail etc. . In the end I researched my event logs and ESET anti virus logs, and found my ESET Anti V software was not allowing some updates to go through, but microsoft's assistant was carrying on regardless until the inevitable fail. Hence I disabled my ESET software for 3 hrs (to allow for restarts of the system, but not having my AV enabling on startup). Waited for the Assistant to fail again with 'Hide" or 'Retry' then loaded the creation tool - link listed above, and retried successfully. Once my system was stable and I was satisfied with it, I did a disk clean and found my update folder was 40GB (normally 270mb). So not only was it failing but it was also keeping the update failures.
Hi, The only security I use is Windows Defender, every update previous to this one loaded first time. Thanks for the pointer, anyway. Bri.

Reaction score
My latest update fails and keeps on failing.....

The latest update to appear is this file below:-

• 2018-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4056892)

When the update initializes, after a while this message appears 'Diagnosing PC' followed, after a lengthy pause, by 'Attempting Repairs', another lengthy pause and the message 'We cannot complete the update, Undoing Changes, Don't turn off your computer'.

I then left my machine on to allow an auto update at a specific time slot. When I returned next morning, the PC had turned off so I assumed that the file had loaded, I switched on and the first message to appear was 'Diagnosing PC' it continued as before until it completed 'We cannot complete the update etc.'

Anyone with similar problems?

How can I prevent this update from trying to load?

do u have installed Avast AV on ur PC nor Advance System Care Pro ver.11 ?
u must turn off services :

1. Right click on start.
2. Click run.
3. Type msconfig
4. Click the "Services" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Advanced System Care 11" service or Avast AV.
6. Click ok.
7. Click "restart your computer".
8. Update KB4103721 as normal. re-enable the service if you want.
9. Done.

Ask a Question