Upgrade 10 Issues... A Few

Reaction score
upgraded from 7x64, fixed a wifi issue so far,

putzing around, then couldn't unzip or install a few apps,with this message
https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=Files+cannot+be+opened+due+to+Internet+Settings+windows+10

tried a few quick fixes resetting explorer settings & mighta fixed, or ended up able to unzip files,

then ended up trying to turn off firewall, as instructed, to see if it made a diff, it didn't

while there, saw that a partition needed a scan, when clicking on it, got a "don't have permission' deal", i am logged in to an account as admin,

lotsa stuff out there for fixes that i've spent hours on already, figured, time to start a solution from scratch with experts

not sure if relevant, but messed up the activation part (was activated prior), prob after transferring the hd to another 'pute, did run across 'not being able to make some changes" without activation

i do have an image of the prior activated working 7 setup,

i did have some issues that came up in action center (other than disk may need scan), that i checked out, was gonna post the results but can't find it anymore

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
not sure if relevant, but messed up the activation part (was activated prior), prob after transferring the hd to another 'pute, did run across 'not being able to make some changes" without activation

I'm struggling to work out what precisely you want help with.

You mentioned you moved HD to another computer. Why?

When you upgrade to Windows 10 you are given a digital license to use the OS. This license is not transferable. The license is given to your System, not you per se. Thus if you make any major hardware changes the digital license will become voided and you would then need to contact Microsoft and explain what you've done in order for them to re-activate the license.

It seems to me this may be the first step you need to consider.

In the search box type Contact Support then press Enter key. Select Accounts & billing then follow the prompts to arrange contact.

Reaction score
just put the hd in another computer cos way faster high end quad core & worked, not worried about that much, just mentioned it in case relevant

don't understand why i'm having permission issues with, first, just unzipping a file, then installing it,, happened to be this one
http://cnt.lakefolks.com/

get this deal
https://www.google.ca/webhp?hl=en#hl=en&q=Files+cannot+be+opened+due+to+Internet+Settings+windows+10

then, went to action centre & didn't have permission to scan a drive that came up as a possible issue

also clicked on some other issue there that showed results that i wanted to post about but ended up losing that or i can't find it now

Reaction score
Reaction score
haven't fully sorted,
https://www.bing.com/search?q=files...=-1&sk=&cvid=5E4BE993478E415593BE5572F0B47D7B
forgot what i did/try prior now, 'been awhile

above bing search gave a good hit allowing flash install
https://www.techperiod.com/fix-these-files-cant-be-opened-windows/
Fix Internet Security Settings: “These Files Can’t Be Opened” – Windows 10/8.1/7
Jit Dutta Solution

These files can’t be opened” is a kind of error notification to Windows 10 and 8.1 users. People using Windows OS eventually get this notification message while installing a software to Windows PC. This error actually prevents users from installing applications, which are downloaded from any untrusted source like torrent websites, etc. Initially the alert message seems an error to you. But, it is an additional internet security setting of Windows. While you download any application from untrusted source and try to install it to the PC, your installation is blocked instantly, which is followed by “These files can’t be opened” alert.

First time I got the message on Windows 10 OS while installing a Windows application (even after turning off the ‘smart filter’ feature). However, people around the world also get the identical alert in different OS versions of Windows – in Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8. I don’t know whether Windows 7 users get the same error message or not. But, seeing this advanced internet security setting, I can assure you that Windows OS is getting smarter day-by-day as far as Windows security is concerned.

these-files-cant-be-opened.png

The feature is very annoying to most of the users of Windows OS, as, everyone loves to get free software, and if you download any software from a different website rather than Microsoft’s store or the company’s website and try to install, you get the error. You can’t install the software to PC until you fix the issue and change your internet setting configuration. Let’s see how to bypass internet security settings of Windows to unblock untrusted exe file installation, which is preventing files from opening in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

Internet Security Settings is Preventing One or More Files from Opening – Windows 10, Windows 8.1 & Windows 7
Step #1: By Unblocking the File
As, default security settings of Windows OS does not allow opening up a new file, so, we need to configure our Windows internet settings in a slightly different way.

1. Select the file you want to install, right click on it.
  2. Choose ‘properties’ from the context menu.
  3. Under ‘General’, check the ‘Unblock’ option.
    unblock-file.png
  4. Select ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’.
Unblock means the origin of the file is another PC and the file might be blocked from installing to prevent the computer from any malicious attack.

Ask a Question