SOLVED Upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit?

Reaction score
It says I have 32bit OS x64 based processor.In System Information-System Type x86-based PC. I am new to computers so have no idea what any of it means or if it will have adverse performance issues and if I should upgrade to 64. Or not worry about it. Thank you for advice.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

There's nothing wrong with being on a 32-bit version of Windows. Some hardware can only support this version and sometimes even if 64-bit is supported, there may be little to gain. For example, a system with less than 4GB RAM doesn't have a huge benefit when upgrading to 64-bit versions of Windows.

Do you know your full system specs? Your processor and RAM total should be listed in the system information panel, which may be enough information for us to advise. If you're running a system with 4GB+ RAM, then it would be worth changing, otherwise your system can't take advantage of it.

One thing to note is that to change between between versions, you'll need to do a clean install - which will mean you need to restore data from backups, etc...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Your CPU is 64-bit capable, but as it's a fairly old CPU and you've got 4GB RAM installed, I don't think it's really worth upgrading as there are few benefits in this case. Part of the reason is that it may be more difficult to find drivers for older 64-bit peripheral hardware (it's likely OK, but far from certain on an older machine). I'm yet to find a mainstream application that won't run on a 32-bit machine, as there are so many out there still.

Ask a Question