Upgrade from 32bit to 64 bit

Reaction score
I recently purchased a computer with Windows 10 32 bit installed. The guy I bought it from said there seemed to be something wrong with the RAM (8GB installed but only 3.25Gb usable). I checked the RAM and it was all OK, then doing a little research I found that this is common for machines designed for 64 bit. My computer system indicates that it has a 32 bit operating system, x64 bit processor. I have downloaded the 64 bit ISO file but when I open the setup.exe file I get a message telling me that "this app can't run on your PC".
I have talked to a Microsoft techo through the chat option who confirms that my computer is able to run 64 bit (after I gave the techo direct access to my computer). At that stage I was seeking assistance with the 64 bit download which the techo resolved. After the successful download I am now having a problem with the installation. Can anyone assist?
The techo did say if I had problems with the installation I should do a clean install. How do I do that?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There is no upgrade path from one bit version to another in any Windows Operating System.
A clean install is required. All data and programs will be lost.
Backup all your critical data and gather a list of programs you'll need to re-install.
Then you'll need to create installation media from the ISO that you downloaded.
Typically, ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can then use to boot your computer and perform the clean install.

Ask a Question