Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 plus new ssd

Reaction score
Hi,
My mate has finally decided to upgrade his laptop to Windows 10 now that MS have advised he will loose support as of next year.
Laptop has a genuine version of Windows 7 and i have advised as part of the upgrade to install an ssd to speed boot times.
What is the best procedure to do this install.
Do i clone his current hdd to the ssd running W7.
Then use the media creation tool to upgrade the OS to W10 .
I assume changing the hard drive will not affect his licence.

Also considered doing a clean install to the new ssd and then install his applications and docs etc.
With the clean install would the installation be a licensed copy?
Hope you can assist and thanks in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As far as I know, Microsoft is no longer offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 from earlier versions of the Windows OS.

I have had success in using the product key from the Certificate of Authenticity on a Windows 7 machine, when performing a custom clean install of Windows 10 from the ISO on a new hard drive, so....

Perhaps your idea of installing a new SSD and doing a clean install might be the better option.
During the install, when prompted for a key, simply enter the product key that is on the CoA.
I'm pretty sure that still works and will activate with a legitimate license, I've done it on numerous occasions and unless something has changed in the last month or so, it should still work.

Otherwise you're going to probably have to purchase a Windows 10 license in order to perform an "upgrade" from Windows 7 properly.

Reaction score
I've done a couple from 7 to 10 in the last month plus one from 8.0 to Win10 using files obtained through the MCT/Media Creation Tool and got activated with a Digital License. The key was, at a prompt to check that I don't have a Product Key, after all the updates they were activated.

Reaction score
Prefer to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade as clears out all the rubbish.Easy enough to then reinstall apps and copy personal files and folders. As long as the Windows 7 product activation code can be used to activate windows 10 i will be more than happy.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've done a couple from 7 to 10 in the last month plus one from 8.0 to Win10 using files obtained through the MCT/Media Creation Tool and got activated with a Digital License. The key was, at a prompt to check that I don't have a Product Key, after all the updates they were activated.
Very cool.... I was not aware that an free upgrade was still allowed.
As long as the Windows 7 product activation code can be used to activate windows 10 i will be more than happy.
As I mentioned above.... It has worked every time that I've done it.
Of course you have to install the version (home or pro) that the product key is intended for.

Reaction score
Microsoft wants everybody to be on Windows 10 (that way they do not have to worry so much about older systems anymore). That is why they are making these concessions in activating with a older system key.

Reaction score
Only issue i can see is if the W7 activation code is retail or oem.
I read somewhere that oem codes can only be used once where as retail are tranferable.
Is this correct and how do i tell if code is oem or retail or have i got this completely wrong?

Reaction score
Most of the Win7 and Win8 I've Upgraded to Win10 were OEM computers such as Dell, HP, couple of Gateways, Acer, ASUS, etc.

The answer to the question didn't show up but Yes, the OEM version and System Builder version are licensed only to the computer they are first installed on and cannot legally be installed on a different computer while the Retail version can be installed on a Replacement computer as long as it is first uninstalled from any other computer.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I did not understand from the OP that any transfer to a second computer was involved with your query.
Only that perhaps a new hard disk would be installed.
I don't believe that, that constitutes a "transfer"

T_J

Reaction score
If I try to install Windows 10 on a relatives Windows 7 desktop (using files obtained through the MCT/Media Creation Tool); and it does not activate Windows 10; could I use 'Repair Disc' and a Windows 7 image on USB drive from 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' to restore 'activated' Windows 7? Thanks.

For my 2012 Dell 1903, I've used 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' and 'Repair Disc' from 2012 to now. When I FREE upgraded in 2016, I didn't have any activation problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Today I tried something different in my upgrading from Win 7 Home to Win 10 Home. I think it may have been back in earlier 2016 when Microsoft was giving away Windows 10 to those that had XP, Win7, Win 8. I bought five CD's from a retailer in Wisconsin for $25.00 Three Cd's had Win 10 Home, the other two had Win 10 Pro. I used these Win 10 disc to upgrade my four desktops to Win 10.
Today, I tried to upgrade the Win 10 Home to Win 10 Pro with one of the Win 10 Pro disc. Didn't work out as I had hoped. In fact I may have destroyed the Win 10 Home hard drive, as I cannot get the PC to work.

Also, I installed Win 10 Home on the desktop with the Win 7 Home. I work very well, only taken about two hours to do it's thing.
I'm going to installed a Crucial 1tb SSD III SATA hard drive and try to get Win 10 Pro on it. Hope I have some magic left.

Ask a Question