upgrade - how many accounts are kept?

Reaction score
I used Windows 10.iso to upgrade from Windows 7 sp1 to Windows 10. I chose to keep all the apps and settings.

Upon finishing upgrading, I was confronted with a logon screen and a user name. Unfortunately, I could not log in. I'm sure I know the password but it just doesn't work.

How many accounts does upgrade keep? Is it possible to switch to another account at the logon screen so I can log in? How?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi John, the upgrade process should transfer all accounts. You should be able to select a different logon account from the bottom left corner of the logon screen. Does your username show up there?

Reaction score
Be sure the caps lock key on your keyboard is not active if you're using a combination of capital and small letters and numbers.

Reaction score
Hi John, the upgrade process should transfer all accounts. You should be able to select a different logon account from the bottom left corner of the logon screen. Does your username show up there?
Thank you for the reply. There is nothing at the bottom left corner of the screen. On the bottom right, there are network connection, easy access, and the icon for restart, shutdown, sleep.

Reaction score
my 8.1 laptops upgraded and kept my multiple accounts (no more than 3) no issues .. my win7 laptops have not upgraded yet and I am waiting till I get the grn light from them .. be curious to see what happens when they do ..

Reaction score
I was confronted with a logon screen and a user name.

I am not sure what did you mean by " confronted with ".
Were you saying that you were asked to enter BOTH your username and your password ?
If that is what you meant, try enter your MS email address as username, then enter your password.

Will that work ? Or I have misunderstood what you wrote ?

Reaction score
my 8.1 laptops upgraded and kept my multiple accounts (no more than 3) no issues .. my win7 laptops have not upgraded yet and I am waiting till I get the grn light from them .. be curious to see what happens when they do ..
I don't know why mine has only one account. I did not sit in front of my laptop during the update process. Maybe I missed something.

What I can do now is do a clean upgrade if I can get the laptop to boot from the Windows 10 DVD. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Acer recovery disks to restore the laptop to its original state when it was purchased.

Reaction score
I am not sure what did you mean by " confronted with ".
Were you saying that you were asked to enter BOTH your username and your password ?
If that is what you meant, try enter your MS email address as username, then enter your password.

Will that work ? Or I have misunderstood what you wrote ?
Sorry that I did not make myself clear. What I was trying to say is I was faced a blue screen with a user name and I was asked for the password for that user name. I cannot enter a user name. If I could, I could log in.

I hardly used that account. I used the account "Administrator" to log in. Now, I cannot find the "Administrator" account. I tried Alt-F4 to switch to a different account. It did nothing.

Reaction score
What I can do now is do a clean upgrade if I can get the laptop to boot from the Windows 10 DVD.

Before you do that, read this.......

If the initial upgrade is successful and activated, then any subsequent re-install will be activated automatically.

If the initial upgrade is not activated, then clean install will not get activated either.

Your situation is...... you can't even login to find out if the system is activated or not.
If it turns out to be not activated, then your clean install will be a waste of time.

Reaction score
Perhaps, just perhaps, go back to Win 7 SP1 and wait till MS has a chance to sort things out since the release on July 29th.
You still have till July 28th, 2016 to get a free upgrade. Lots of time.

Reaction score
Before you do that, read this.......

If the initial upgrade is successful and activated, then any subsequent re-install will be activated automatically.

If the initial upgrade is not activated, then clean install will not get activated either.

Your situation is...... you can't even login to find out if the system is activated or not.
If it turns out to be not activated, then your clean install will be a waste of time.
Good thinking. However, by the time I read your post, I have done a clean upgrade (I thought the 1st upgrade with preservation of apps and files would automatically activate Windows 10. No. It did not.)

I then tried to restore the laptop back to the factory installation by holding down Alt-F10 during power up. So, it would boot from the reserved partition. It did not work. Every time I tried it, it boot to Windows 10 after releasing keys.

Well, I did make a set of recovery DVDs when I got the laptop. I put in the first DVD and boot from it. It reported some kind of hardware failure and quit. I suspected it had something to do with Windows 10. So, I installed Windows 7 on the laptop. Once it finished installation, I immediately put in the first recovery DVD and restarted the laptop. This time, it successfully boot from the DVD and I finished restoring the laptop to its factory state.

The next thing I did was run a program to extract the product key because the original product key label is on the bottom of the laptop. It is now partially illegible. I used two different ways to extract the key. Both gave the same key. However, very strange, the extracted product key is different from the one on the label.

Tonight when I go home, I'll first make sure I have sp1. Then, I'll do another clean upgrade.

Reaction score
The next thing I did was run a program to extract the product key because the original product key label is on the bottom of the laptop. It is now partially illegible. I used two different ways to extract the key. Both gave the same key. However, very strange, the extracted product key is different from the one on the label.

No keyfinders will be able to locate your OEM product key.
Meaning, if your computer came with a pre-install Win 7, the keyfinder will NOT be able to find the product key that matches with the one attached at the bottom of your laptop.
The product key it finds is the one used by the computer manufacturer to "mass produce ". It is NOT for reinstalling the operating system, nor to activate the system.
Keyfinders are good for .......
if one installs , for example, Win 8 over a computer pre-installed with Win 7, the keyfinder will find the Win 8 product key.

Tonight when I go home, I'll first make sure I have sp1. Then, I'll do another clean upgrade.

" clean upgrade " ? As in clean install ?
You can NOT "upgrade" to Windows 10 by Clean Install.
The Initial upgrade has to be done either via Windows Update or via "in-place" upgrade using an ISO file.
After
the initial upgrade is successful AND activated, then you can do clean install anytime you want and it will be activated automatically.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Forget about product key. I figure out I don't need it because what Windows 10 is asking is the product key for Windows 10, not my old key. So, even if I find out my old key. It'll be of no use.

I did download the Windows 10 ISO and burnt it. All the upgrade I have been talking about is done with the ISO file.

Anyway, this is what happened. I went home and checked the OS. What I had was Windows 7 sp1. I then used the ISO CD to upgrade to Windows 10 while keeping all the apps and files. It worked. Now, I have Windows 10 running on my laptop. What I need to do next is download all the updates.

Do I really need to register online? I am reluctant to store my info at Microsoft.

Ask a Question