upgrade Issues

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade my pc from win7 to win10 but I'm unable to finish updating win7 to all the latest updates.
The instructions say you must have win 7 fully patched. But when i started the updates i can see files being copied into C:\Wiindows\SoftwareDistribution folder fills but it stops at 609MB. The updates notifications never shows that the downloads have finished or what percentage has been completed.

I've performed a restore and run the update troubleshooter fix from Microsoft WindowsDiagnostic.diagcab
It does show an error but no instructions of how to fix it (see attached screen shot).

Can i do a complete fresh install of win10 rather than an upgrade? Or won't the license work like that?

Attachments

• UpdateError.JPG
    UpdateError.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 487
Reaction score
If we can assume you are referring to Win 7 updates, do you know which update or how many are having problems?

Have you tried shutting your system all the way down and then boot. Possibly that would clear out some of the deadwood.

Did you run the Troubleshooter as Admin?

I think the error means the following. You can look up the error number to see if you find anything like the link below.

ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER
87 (0x57)
The parameter is incorrect.

https://social.technet.microsoft.co...-update-error-0x80070057?forum=w7itprogeneral

Reaction score
Tried reboot , tried reset point tried all fixes i could find in thread. Reinstalled silverlight. No change.
Can not install or even get a list of updates that windows wants to install. if i got that i could try installing one at a time.

Reaction score
If you want to do a clean install, it is supposed to be possible if you have a valid Win 7 license. I just hate to suggest something which will overwrite any current install. If you don't mind wiping the drive, go ahead and let us know how it goes.

Ask a Question