Upgrade to Win 10 someday far away

Reaction score
Win 7 runs well on my Dell desktop but i plan to prepare for the EVENTUAL upgrade to Win 10 some day. Since the cutoff for freebie upgrade/install is in July my strategy is to download/install/activate Win 10 but continue to run Win 7 as long as possible. A DVD containing Win 10 has been created by "Media Creation Tool" but my concern is how best to install it -

(1) dual-boot Win 7 and Win 10 (installed using DVD ??) from a single HD (if possible).
(2) install a second "reserve" (unused) HD with only Win 10 on it and continue to run Win 7 using "primary" (bootable) HD. Win 10 will already have been activated so there shd be no charge if and when it becomes the "active" OS someday.
==========================================================================================
(a) Will both of these approaches work using the DVD created by Media Creation Tool ?

(b) Is one better than the other ?

(c) Are there other upgrade strategies that would work better than either of these 2 given that Win 10 will remain dormant for some undetermined period ?
============================================================================================
Thanx.
Bewildered Bob

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
i plan to prepare for the EVENTUAL upgrade to Win 10 some day
The "free" upgrade requires a legitimate license / product key from your previous version of Windows be used and as a consequence (at least as far as I know) does not allow or support under that circumstance, you using that product key to support your running or continuing to run Windows 7 with that product key any longer, so....
I think you're going to have to acquire a second Windows 7 license or Windows 10 license in order to do what you've outlined above, IF I understand your post correctly.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble: thanx for the quick response. Obviously i have a legitimate key for installed Win 7 which i believe allows upgrade to Win 10 without any charge. But are you saying that after upgrading the key is no longer valid for Win 7 ? If true how do folks reinstall Win 7 after upgrading to Win 10 ? In my humble opinion the key shd still be allowed for either OS - do you agree ?

Bewildered Bob

Reaction score
Bob, just do the upgrade now, you won't regret it. Thoroughly test the upgrade in the 30 days allowed and if dissatisfied, revert back to W7. You have nothing to lose.

Ask a Question