SOLVED Upgrade to windows 10 while expiring

Reaction score
Hello. My cousin wats to upgrade to Windows 10 now but we have only about 2 hours left. We downloaded upgrade and now it says it is preparing for instalation. My question is, when we start the upgrade and if it ends after midnight is it free? Thank you

Bif

Reaction score
VERY interesting question!...I wondered this myself, following this one.

Reaction score
I would pull a Jason Bourne and change my PC UTC time zone back to give me several hours of more time.
Your cousin's PC will turn into a Pumpkin at the stroke of midnight. With only 2 hrs left in be going into atrial fibrillation.

Seriously, if you have the Windows 10 install media you can burn the image and install Windows 10 whenever and as often as you like.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The free upgrade to Windows 10 officially ends July 29 11:59 PM UTC-10. That translates to 2:59 AM PDT and 5:59 AM EST July 30. According to a Microsoft representative, all upgrades must be completely finished prior to this time.
The company does not guarantee any upgrades attempted after the stated end date (and time) will work, however, so users considering the upgrade should do so before the timer hits zero.
SOURCE: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-free-upgrade-end,32343.html

Reaction score
My feeling, not know procedures, is if you have started the update or even if you have the update option available on your system, the normal free upgrade will be allowed. If it will not be free then they should not even allow it to start without requiring a payment first.

We must remember, the free upgrade period is ending, but Microsoft has not stated upgrades after this time will actually not also be free.... I however, would not wait just to test the observation.

Reaction score
I
Seriously, if you have the Windows 10 install media you can burn the image and install Windows 10 whenever and as often as you like.
Not sure about that. I would interpret what we know so far, is that the upgrade must be registered with the motherboard - on MS servers - by the deadline.

Reaction score
dave I won't doubt you on that.You most likely will have to pay for the registration after the 30th. July.
Users have had enough time and warnings to perform the upgrade. I just created an image and a restore point, just in case. ;)

Reaction score
Well. I think we are going to find out in the next couple of days, with a flood of posts asking why they cannot upgrade.

Reaction score
Hi.. I managed to download and install updates until around 11pm (UTC+1). Then the computer, normally, rebooted and started the upgrade. It turned off and on a couple of times as it said it will. Everything was done after midnight, around 2 or 3 am (UTC+1), computer turned on the last time. Everything is ok. I checked licence details and it is ok too. Anyway, thanks for the advices. :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up info on your thread.
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question