Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all
I have bought a new computer in the last 6 mouths and it had win7 pro installed with a free upgrade disc to win10 included
now i want up upgrade to win 10 and can't figure out had to do it the win10 disc says (already installed on your computer) windows 10 pro 64 bit?? any suggestions in how to do this?? I don't want a clean install will lose to much stuff LOL I'm pretty
computer savvy but this has me stumped??

Win7 pro
16gig ram
intel i-7
1 tb hd
64bit

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have bought a new computer in the last 6 mouths
Have you considered contacting the seller or the manufacturer and see if they have any input as to what might be required for you to proceed with the "free upgrade".
can't figure out had to do it the win10 disc says (already installed on your computer) windows 10 pro 64 bit??
I'm wondering if it is a full blown Retail or OEM version of Windows 10 or if it instead is, a factory reset (OEM installation disk) that contains the installation media necessary to recover the computer to the factory OOBE condition.
IF you explore the disk provided in File Explorer, does it contain a "setup.exe" file?
I would expect it to look something like this

Capture.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Perhaps post an image of what you see when you open it in File Explorer, using the Windows snipping tool.
Maybe someone will spot something that might help identify what you've got.
It might just be a drivers disk with the appropriate Windows 10 drivers should you ever decide to upgrade.

Reaction score
this is the only files on disc

boot
efi
source
bootmgr
bootms.efi

and disc size is 5.86GB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is the physical disk branded with a Microsoft or Manufacturer logo or any other markings that would identify it?
I can't say for certain, but that looks incomplete and may be intended to be used in conjuction with a factory recovery procedure that you might be able to employ from within the installation or by using a combination of function keys at boot time.
Only the seller or manufacturer would probably no for sure.

Reaction score
Disc says
Dell
Operation System
win10 pro
64bit
Disc is blue in color

(not for resale)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you attempted to insert the disk and then restart the computer and use F12 (I believe for a Dell) to evoke the one time boot menu and selecting the optical drive (that disk) to boot from and see if it produces any options or information?

Reaction score
On back of disc sleeve it says
DellP/N 07PF46 made in usa
US- 07PF46------ I'm assuming that the serial for win10

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You certainly can although I would first put that disk in and see if I could boot from it and see what that might do.
It will not likely be the latest version of Windows 10 but it might save you some time initially in downloading the whole ISO and then converting that to installation media.

Reaction score
Just tried that no option to upgrade just reinstall for win7pro
iso file sounds a lot quicker

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just tried that no option to upgrade just reinstall for win7pro
Not sure why, a disk that is plainly marked as Windows 10 Pro 64bit would be a source to install Windows 7, but.....

Reaction score
Sorry to but in.
I suspect that the Windows 10 is on the (hidden) recovery partition. You could try, in the first instance, unhiding, or using the disk management, to ascertain this.
Maybe this will help, also:

http://www.dell.com/support/article...0-from-a-dell-windows-10-recovery-dvd?lang=EN
If the purchase was made only six months ago, then I would have a careful look at the invoice to see, in detail, exactly what was bought. There is a guarantee time on all Dell products, and the seller should be obliged to sort it out for you.
Most Dell computers are only sold directly from Dell, but I am sure there are exceptions around the world. Perhaps your purchase, for example, was from a retail shop?

Reaction score
Bought this computer from dell website and have tried just about all the recommendations (downloaded the assist tool and downloaded win 10 tried to install but when it gets to the part to check for updates there is no option to not check for updates spent 31/2hours checking for updates, tried several times and it just hangs at checking for updates??)

Ask a Question