Upgraded to 10, now none of my internal SATA hard drives show up in Explorer/My Computer?

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.

Looking for some help on a crazy issue where none of my other internal SATA hard drives are mounting and showing up in Explorer. I have 4 of them that are powered up, show up in Disk Management, but I cannot do anything with them. If I right click and try to change drive letter I get "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date".

I tried disabling and enabling the drives in Device Manager? I set them to offline and then online in Disk Management (which at least got them to show that they are healthy NTFS partitions) but no luck in getting them to actually mount in Explorer.

I have 5 external USB3 hard drives that all mount just fine, and a few USB flash drives as well. All is fine with those.. its just really odd that only the SATA drives are having issues. My system drive is hooked up via SATA and its running Win10 just fine.. its all the rest that are messed up.

Thanks a ton to anybody that might be able to help with this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Perhaps you need a chipset driver for your controller(s).
Check with intel and run their driver update utility (if you have an intel chipset based motherboard)
If not
Check with AMD and see if they have a chipset driver or two for you.
Some AMD boards also use a jMicron chipset for a second drive controller.
Best check your motherboard documentation to see what you might need.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice but no dice. My motherboard does have the z77 chipset but running the intel driver update utility yielded nothing new to install. I have no idea why they aren't showing up. Thinking about just going back to 8.1 unless I can get something figured out soon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you happen to check the board manufacturer's site.
I think I got the latest for my Z97 gigabyte board from the Gigabyte website.
Maybe worth a look.

Ask a Question