SOLVED Upgraded W10 last week and...

Reaction score
Well, I finally took the leap and installed W10 Home as an upgrade last week and so far I find it quite good. The actual download and installation went well and took maybe 1.2 hours. I upgraded a 4 year old HP AIO pc and all drivers are working properly. I must admit I have installed Classic Shell which gives me some familiarity from W7 to access things by habit. I do not really like Edge much but I suppose after some use I should get used to that. I read that I can use IE11 as a default browser still and may very well use that but persistence with Edge will eventually make that better. I did take the recommendations given here and have made a backup of my previous image so if the crap hits the fan in any way I have the option of utilising that. I am far from a power user but my 2 bobs worth would be that overall it's not too bad an upgrade. Thanks to all for a very informative and useful forum.

Reaction score
Good luck and welcome to the Win10 bandwagon. :)

I introduce Classic Shell to everyone I meet. Most agree that it is preferred over Win10 tiled menu. In fact my Mother had already removing all the tiles when I introduced Classic Shell to her. My Father was very receptive and didn't want to look back. I was honestly surprised when my parents accepted a third party menu. That usually is outside their comfort zone, as they don't often stray from inbuilt applications.

Reaction score
I am running two versions of 10. MY 10 which is 10 the way I want it with Classic Shell and that godforsaken MS 10 which is 10 the way Microsoft has deemed is best for me.

Can I still blame Bill Gates for this?

Reaction score
My daughter's laptop is next for an upgrade and the Classic Shell will definitely be installed there also. It just makes things easier when you are just so used to clicking at start. Mr Gates maybe would not agree but when you are on a good thing...Stick to it!

Reaction score
It is a personal preference, nevertheless.
I prefer it as planned. I have 6 "daily" icons showing - just a click, instead of scrolling. I don't want them on my taskbar, that is reserved for utilities I use.
In Windows 8.1, which is probably where I got the habit, I used the modern screen with all my shortcuts visible. Again, one click and I'm in.

Ask a Question