SOLVED USB-Bootstick

Reaction score
I will start from the Beginning. So I did a little research and after that I had to go to work and let my Laptop shut down but it started to install some Updates. Later when I got home, I booted my Laptop and it showed me: "Preparing Automatic Repair" (Most likely because it shutted off during installation (no power) and data got corrupted or uncompatible driver/s). Then: "Diagnosing your PC" and at last Blue Screen.

Here is what I did:

• Start Help = Fail (log file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
  • Start Setting
  1. 4) = Fail
  2. 6) = Fail
  3. 7) = Fail
  4. 8) = Fail
  • Uninstall Updates
  1. Uninstall Current Quality Update = A Problem has occured
  2. Uninstall Current Function Update = Due to a problem, you cannot uninstall the last Windows function update. Instead, try resetting your PC (Troubleshoot > Reset this PC)
  • System Restore = 2 Restorations Points both failed
  • System Image Recovery = No Image found
  • Reset this PC
  1. Cloud-Download (with and without LAN-cable) = Problem resetting to original settings
  2. Local Reinstallation = Problem resetting to original settings
  • Command Prompt
  1. sfc /verifonly = Windows ressource protection has found integrity violations. For online repairs, details can be found in the CBS log file under windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, see the log file identified by the /OFFLOGFILE flag for details
  2. sfc /scannow = Windows Ressource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
  3. dir d: > chkdsk d: and d: /f = Volume cannot be opened for direct access operation.
  4. bootrec /fixmbr = The process has been completed
  5. bootrec /fixbooot = Access denied
  6. bootrec /scanos = Total number of identified Windows installations: 0
  7. bootrec /rebuildbcd = the same as /scanos
  • I created an USB-Bootstick with the Media-Creation-Tool (both Versions 64-bit and 32-bit)
  • Booted via UEFI
  1. 64-bit = Loading Files and right after that a black screen and nothing happens
  2. 32-bit = Loading Files and after that Windows failed to start
File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi

Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

• New hard drive (Hitach)
  1. 64-bit = same problem
  2. 32-bit = same problem
Can someone help me?

btw I have a ASUS Model R541N with Intel Pentuim

Reaction score
Hi masutakame,

with all the problems listed above, I would use a Linux version to try and diagnose your computer, plus you can quite possibly save your files to a USB stick. I recommend Ubuntu first. Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu

There are many other versions of Linux which you review here. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

You can also try booting from a USB stick with Win 10 and try Advanced Start-up Options and troubleshoot again. Maybe the drive(s) is damaged (I had that problem myself recently), you said you tried a new hard drive, is it "new" or just a different drive?.

Another option is a re-install following the guide below. :)

Re-install W10 and keep your files/app data intact | Windows 10 Forums

Reaction score

click

Go back to your previous version of Windows 10​

best work around i could find.
you could use the media tool to download win iso file do a clean install but you lose your data if you don't have a backup
I use rufus to make a bootable usb stick

Reaction score
Hi masutakame,

with all the problems listed above, I would use a Linux version to try and diagnose your computer, plus you can quite possibly save your files to a USB stick. I recommend Ubuntu first. Enterprise Open Source and Linux | Ubuntu

There are many other versions of Linux which you review here. DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD.

You can also try booting from a USB stick with Win 10 and try Advanced Start-up Options and troubleshoot again. Maybe the drive(s) is damaged (I had that problem myself recently), you said you tried a new hard drive, is it "new" or just a different drive?.

One point I'd add [based on my experiences], use a Linux LiveDVD [bootable], have the downloaded .iso file on the Windows drive or another USB drive. For the boot a clean 4GB or 8Gb drive would be sufficient but by default it will be cleaned in the process. In the LinuxLive locate USB Image Writer, pick the saved .iso file for the Source and create the Bootable USB. Use a larger second USB drive [either Thumb or HDD/SSD] as the Destination for saving data files as Windows can't do anything on the Bootable Linux, can't work with its formatting. I prefer Linux Mint but other 'flavors' can do the same.

Reaction score
Hi masutakame,

Thank you Wolfie,

I will try to diagnose with Linux but unfortunately I am only able to do it on Friday because I don't have a second PC (well a win95 without Internet connection :S), so I have to do it with my cousins.

You probably mean pressing f8 when it asks which version I want but I get the same errors as I mentioned above. Now I will try to diagnose with the Windows Diagnos Tool which is available in the USB. Does it matter which option I use? Basic, Standard or Extended?

Yes it is completely new, nothing on it. In UEFI I can see that it is recognized but without any boot option because as I said it is empty.

click

Go back to your previous version of Windows 10​

best work around i could find.
you could use the media tool to download win iso file do a clean install but you lose your data if you don't have a backup
I use rufus to make a bootable usb stick
Thank you too john steadman,

I read something about wrong format of the Bootstick (mine is NTFS which the Media-Creation-Tool did automatically). Could it be that I have to create a Bootstick with FAT32. If so, then I will attempt with Rufus. If that doesn't help, then I will try what you mentioned above with the previous version. But the same goes for this option: I can only do this on friday.
One point I'd add [based on my experiences], use a Linux LiveDVD [bootable], have the downloaded .iso file on the Windows drive or another USB drive. For the boot a clean 4GB or 8Gb drive would be sufficient but by default it will be cleaned in the process. In the LinuxLive locate USB Image Writer, pick the saved .iso file for the Source and create the Bootable USB. Use a larger second USB drive [either Thumb or HDD/SSD] as the Destination for saving data files as Windows can't do anything on the Bootable Linux, can't work with its formatting. I prefer Linux Mint but other 'flavors' can do the same.
And last but not least thank you too Bighorn.

Reaction score
Now I will try to diagnose with the Windows Diagnos Tool which is available in the USB. Does it matter which option I use? Basic, Standard or Extended?
Hi masutakame,

it doesn't really matter, try them all if you have to!.

If the drive is clean and new as you say, try a fresh copy of Win 10 before you try Linux, you might have a virus???????. Do you have anything important on the drive?, if you don't do a clean install and see how that goes, or you can also try running Linux to see if the computer has a fault!.

See my link again if there are important files you need. ;)

(2) Re-install W10 and keep your files/app data intact | Windows 10 Forums

Reaction score
Hi masutakame,

it doesn't really matter, try them all if you have to!.

If the drive is clean and new as you say, try a fresh copy of Win 10 before you try Linux, you might have a virus???????. Do you have anything important on the drive?, if you don't do a clean install and see how that goes, or you can also try running Linux to see if the computer has a fault!.

See my link again if there are important files you need. ;)
So I started the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool on Extended. It will take some time before I can give any updates.

The problem is the USB. Somehow I can’t install W10 on either of the HDDs. As I said when I press 64-bit it is Loading Files and right after it finishes the screen is black and nothing happens and when I press 32-bit it is Loading Files and after that it says:

Windows failed to start
File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.efi
Info: The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

Here:

20123A8D-7C30-47AF-A249-E6A160F6BE4B.png

Could it be because of the USB format?

edit: what I found about the Status is that if the UEFI hardware itself is 64-bit then I need a 64-bit W10 Bootstick

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are installing on a clean hd sothere is nothing to save or recover. Forget the usb, the problem can be sorted out later. Use the media creation tool again and download the iso to the hd. Mount it and run the setup from there.

Reaction score
Another thought, go into BIOS/UEFI and look for "Legacy USB" and make sure it is enabled!.

0xc0000359
This could also indicate a corrupted Windows version on your USB stick if you are trying to install on a clean drive?. You might want to try downloading a fresh copy and try again, let the Media Creation Tool do all the legwork with regards to formatting!. :)

Reaction score
So here’s a quick update: The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool didn’t help me, it didn’t found anything.

I will be at my cousins dorm tomorrow and there I will try out the options you guys gave me. Updates coming soon

Reaction score
Guys I did it!

I created a bootable Ubuntu USB stick with Rufus and used it to see if the laptop has any Hardware problems but thank God it didn't. With the help of Ubuntu I was able to backup some files I found in the hidden corners of my HDD to an USB. I even found some old photos. I'm glad that I found those :D. After that I installed Ubuntu and cleared all partitions, so basically a clean install of Ubuntu. Now I was able to download big datas like the W10 iso file from Microsoft. I downloaded it and used WoeUsb (because Rufus is not compatible with Ubuntu) to create a bootable W10 USB. After booting I did a clean install of W10 and everything worked just fine. I didn't even had to use the new HDD.

Btw I never used any Linux before just heared about them, to be honest it was a great experience.

Just wanted to thank all of you for helping me out ;).

Ask a Question