SOLVED USB Drive Displays not found.

Reaction score
In this PC Drive show F external USB drive. Clicking icon, shows to insert a disk. This unlike a DVD can not be carried out. How can this USB drive be removed from the listed drives.

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

open Computer Management > Disk Management and try right clicking the offending drive and see if you eject it or remove it!. :)

1596964859496.png

Reaction score
I suspect you have the same problem as I. Recently, many users have been having problems with printing. The computer shows it is printing, but the printer receives nix. The problem was solved in an even later update.
One one of my computers, which had that particular problem, I can now print as normally. But, in the disk management, this is what I see. My USNB printer has been assigned the letter "F" and listed as a DVD drive!!!!
I have chosen to let it lie, as everything, otherwise, is working 100%

1596967745823.png

Reaction score
At present it shows in PC as F drive. In disk Management appears to be no reference to it.

Further check is even more baffling in the result.
Model SD/MMC/MSPRO
Manufacturer : Generic.
Firmware version : 1.
Seral number : 2012062914345300
Power source : Plugged in.
The information given has absolutely no meaning to me, none of my HD's in use have a serial number resembling the above.
Clicking the F reference, Properties - shows The Device name is either to long or contains invalid characters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Referring to my previous postm, do you have an external dvd drive? If so, unplug it and see if F vanishes

Reaction score
I have an external hard drive with reference letter W. Unplug, the F USB is still showing, only in the This PC. In the Safely remove the F is not shown at any time.

Reaction score
Try running Disk Clean which may delete any references to the drive???. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie
I opened Device Manager, checked Disk Drives, found SD/MMC/MSPRO Generic, must say took a chance by removing it, after which checked for the F drive, finding it was now removed from This PC.
However, in trying to play a DVD Film disk, refused to play it. A saved CD of holiday films opens and show picture without any trouble. Just my luck, rid one error and inherit another. My play software is VLC that appears to be functioning correctly.

Well on cold restarting computer, and rechecking Device Manager, the Generic drive has again been restored and the ref "F" drive is also showing in This PC window, back to square status quo .

Last edited:
Reaction score
SD/MMC/MSPRO Generic points to an (older) card reader in your computer. Do you have something like that?? that may be the reason your drive shows up as "F:" due to the possibility of it being defective. I cannot say for sure but it seems logical...

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

as @Grizzly points out, if the card reader is/was a USB type, plug it back in and then remove it safely as I said above in post #5. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie and Grizzly,
The one thing that I have never owned or used is a Card Reader, together there are no USB sticks permanently plugged in computer. It certainly shows removing the SD in Device Manager, appears to work properly until the next Boot up of computer, when it is again installed. Other than that it be a nuisance, not affect running other jobs, and again is it running in the background. Any nasties, sure to find me:mad:

Reaction score
Hi Rab,

if you are not using the SD card reader (assuming it is indeed a part of the computer), you can disable it instead of removing the device and it won't show when you re-boot!. Control Panel > Device Manager > Right click on the device and then on Disable!. :)

1597054040133.png

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie,
Thanks for your last response, as said I not have a SD card. The Generic Card is now set at Disabled. Checked the This PC screen and any reference to the F disk is no longer showing.
Hope this step will permanently end this annoyance of the F drive showing. Thanks for your interest and solving it, appreciated.

Ask a Question