SOLVED USB to Serial

Reaction score
Could anyone please tell me what does PL-2303 USB to Serial mean? After updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this has appeared in my list of programmes and it is taking up nearly 20 gb.. Thank you..

Reaction score
A quick Google looks as if Prolific is a company that makes interface devices and software. This at 20GB looks as if it could be their generic package for interfaces.

Do you have any serial devices on your PC? or that you used to plug into your PC? that would be to a 9 pin socket.

There used to be all kinds of serial devices pre USB ( which is why this company exists by the look of it)

Things like blood sugar monitors, old type modems to name just two examples. Does your printer use a serial interface?

I hesitate to suggest just removing it without knowing more about your set up.

Reaction score
I dont know what a serial device is? But have no blood sugar monitors or old type modems, my printer is a Canon MP210 and as far as I know is a usb connection. Have no idea where this came from and am worried about removing it, I thought it must have something to do with my update to Windows 10, mmmmm what to do.....

Reaction score
You could do this.
Right click on the task bar and select Task Manager
Select Startup from the menu bar of Task Manager ( you may have to selct More Details at the bottom left before you see it
look down the list until you see the PL2303 or something called Prolific something. If the status on that line says enabled then right click on that and you'll see that you can select disabled. Alternately with that line selected click Disable at the bottom right.

Save any work and reboot.

All should work just fine as before ANYthing different report here. If the machine continues to work ok which it should then you can delete this thing in control panel.

Reaction score
Good. So nothing is running. Now check in Control Panel -> Uninstall a program and see if it there. As it is not in startup it probably is safe to uninstall it.

Reaction score
I have a scanner that uses the USB to Serial interface. Also, something like a GPS receiver may use one.

Windows 10 seems to have built-in drivers for such an interface, but it would be device dependent.

I will look up that device since it sounds slightly familiar to me...

Edit: In Windows 7 if you needed a Serial to USB interface you had to use a special cable which needed its own driver. Possibly the Windows Easy Transfer needed such a cable. But having a driver, by itself, which is that large seems to be a little strange. Just make sure you are not looking at some data related to some prior operations.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Saw the below thread, does this have anything to do with my problem as it mentions USB to Serial???

Hey all, upgraded from win 7 to win 10 and love it, but, my usb to serial adapter driver will not start the port, code 10.. please help if you can..

Reaction score
Let me make two helpful suggestions.

Before deleting it, empty your Recycle Bin. It will be easier to find if your computer is crippled.

Set a System Restore Point first.

Ask a Question