SOLVED Useless shortcut on taskbar will not delete.

Reaction score
A while ago, I put a shortcut on the taskbar. It is the white one at the bottom right of the screen, containing a search facility which doesn't work.

I cannot remember what it was/is, it is useless, and it won't delete.

I would be grateful for instruction on how to get rid of it.

Thanks
Clive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
A while ago, I put a shortcut on the taskbar. It is the white one at the bottom right of the screen, containing a search facility which doesn't work.
Do you remember how you did it? Was it a product of some program or utility that you installed?
Can you take a screen shot or a windows snip of the area. It might help us understand the issue better.
Typically, you simply right click taskbar items and choose unpin, however icons in the notification are a bit different.

Reaction score
Have you tried Unpinning it from the Taskbar? The icons on my Taskbar don't have a Delete on the right-click menu, just the Unpin and the name of the associated program.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, folks,

Erm ... I cannot remember where it came from. I hope this screenshot works this time!

The item is at the bottom right, and offers a white space for a search.

Attachments

• Screenshot for forums in pdf.pdf
    182.7 KB · Views: 298
Reaction score
That looks like Cortana, although that is normally on the left of the taskbar. Right click the tasbkar, click "search" and mark it hidden. see if that gets rid of it.

Reaction score
Thank all three of you for your help. It is indeed Cortana, and although right clicking the taskbar didn't give me 'search' I fiddled around with taskbar settings (don't ask me which one worked!) and finally the icon disappeared. So problem solved. Many thanks.

Although these glitches are small, and often self-generated, they can take up a lot of time and attention.

Now ... about that rogue fuel pump in my old Jetta .....

Reaction score
Clive Open Toolbox > Click ON 8mm wrench and lots of $$ in your wallet. ;)

Reaction score
Apple might even pay you if you use it on your computer.

PC World staff were not impressed when I asked where my Jetta fuel pump inlet pipe fitted in to the new Apple iPad, or latest PC. Is that the USB connection? Can't imagine why they all laughed ... it seemed a perfectly reasonable question.

Reaction score
Not such a dumb question considering all the things Windows is being found on.

Reaction score
My Shelby is running great on Windows 7 Turbo Cleaner. ;)
Shelby 2.jpg

Reaction score
Folks, I think we're being a bit naughty, and will soon get a rap over the knuckles from serious computer ner ... um people.

The simple fact is, totally frustrating at times with its intrusions and illogicalities, I need my pc to send emails, book flights, hotels and cars and see my relatives in Singapore without being charged an arm and a leg (which, apparently, is what Adam would have had to pay if he hadn't agreed to a rib). So I spend hours trying to solve petty glitches as the price of great convenience most other times. We all rip our hair out on occasion, but keep getting online!!

If only those over-clever people at MS wouldn't keep thinking that we need to change everything all the time. I drool over my old WLM interface, unuseable now, of course.

Oh, and I don't like those silly, patronising icons on Apple computers. And as for Bots! Lord help us all!

Dinosaurs of the world - UNITE!

Reaction score
Clive. Agree, with reserve. Windows 10 has been, for me, pretty faultless, but nothing is perfect. It , inho, is superior to Windows 7 in most instances.
Having said that, I have had the opportunity to look at the forthcoming "Fall" release (a dumb name), and even the subsequent project which is supposedly the next step for computer mankind. I cannot, for the life of me, see what those "experts have been up to over all those months. With daily bugs in profusion and, at the end, an OS which apparently looks and runs identically to what I already have on my computer!

FWIW. WLM runs perfectly, and as always, in Windows 10. But I have, in any case, stopped using it. Have a look at my old post #15, here:
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/windows-live-mail.14754/#post-72653

MS have said that WLM is no longer supported and will, therefore, not receive security updates etc. Over the years, I have never needed help with that very efficient program and do not recall receiving any updates!

Reaction score
davehc,

Thank you for your response. The amazing facility of owning a pc is essential to life today, and any program, like W10, is necessarily a complex animal, especially in this world of dreadfully destructive hackers, whose activities go far beyond the making of money by deception. I also cannot join those who enjoy damning MS's efforts with obscene language - such 'trolling' seems to be merely an outlet for some pretty serious mental disturbances which have their origins elsewhere.

After W7 I was initially stumped by the differences in W10, and irritated by the move from programs on my pc to Apps, which seem to turn over control to MS, and reduce my level of control. However, W10 has become just a matter of getting to know a new neighbourhood, possibly a better one than the old. My only reservation is that, for example, Word and Excel take so darned long to load my files, as if MS is checking that I have paid for Office 365 home, every time! MS Works at 32 bit was fine for me, now sadly I cannot load this old disc in 64 bit W10, and my old, so useful Publisher, which came with MS Works, is denied to me. Ah Well.

I'm intrigued to find that you WLM 'works perfectly'. I loved that interface, and the ease with which, for example, I could file an email into my pc. My knowledge is so limited, that I cannot bring it to life, as the messages about 'POP' servers' etc. being unavailable, made me to understand that as well as being unsupported, WLM is now unuseable. Can it be resurrected? I would love to know how!

Today I'll look at your old post #15.

Ask a Question