SOLVED User Administrator Account has disappeared after "reinstall"

Reaction score
On Saturday morning my PC decided it had to restart to install updates ... this took a long time and in hindsight I'm pretty sure it installed Windows 10 ... over my existing Windows 10 environment (Cortana has reappeared), so unless this was a service pack , I am not impressed.

After being away for the weekend I come back today to find that the Administrator User Account has disappeared from the login screen ... and if I go into my own user account, there is no longer an option to switch to it. However, if I look at c:\users, the Administrator.acer folder is still there and I can navigate onwards from it to data created by the Administrator account .

Is there a known problem with multiple installs of W10 ?
Whether there is or not,, how can I reattach an account login to the Administrator.acer folder I can see under Users ?
PS I see that on Saturday morning a "Default.migrated" account folder was created

Thanks in advance for any advice
SB

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
IF the "updates" was actually the 1511 Build 10586 (November update) then in effect it is basically and upgrade that almost completely reinstalls Windows 10.
AND may have disabled the hidden administrator account again. That is the default for that particular account, IF..... that is, in fact the account you were using that produced the "Administrator.acer" profile folder that you are seeing in C:\Users.
Do you know how that profile folder was created? Had you been using the hidden administrator account as a log-in option? At the sign-in screen, did the account say simply "Administrator"?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
IF the "updates" was actually the 1511 Build 10586 (November update) then in effect it is basically and upgrade that almost completely reinstalls Windows 10.
AND may have disabled the hidden administrator account again. That is the default for that particular account, IF..... that is, in fact the account you were using that produced the "Administrator.acer" profile folder that you are seeing in C:\Users.
Do you know how that profile folder was created? Had you been using the hidden administrator account as a log-in option? At the sign-in screen, did the account say simply "Administrator"?

Hi and many thanks for your comments ... they made me think about how I originally setup W10 on my Acer

My build level is indeed version 1511 Build 10586.63 so that seems to explain the why
As for how the Administrator profile folder was created ... I recall having to google to find the Administrator account.
I can't be certain if it was a User Administrator or Hidden Administrator account that I ended up using, but the hidden concept rings a bell and at the sign-in screen, the account did simply say "Administrator"?

I will try unhiding the hidden version and see if that solves my problem ( I have some meteor detection software - UFO Capture and UFO Analysis - which only works properly under Administrator, so this is a big problem for me until it is resolved !)

Thanks again - I will post to let you know the unhide works ... and definitely if it doesn't :)

Steve

Reaction score
That was the problem - account now visible again and everything working properly !

I think it very naughty of Microsoft to revert to default after I had made the conscious effort to unhide this account ... I would be tempted to describe this action as a bug !

Steve

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question