User Profile Missing

Reaction score
Hi, this is a head scratcher for me...
I have my main account setup and it works just fine. However, when I try and set up additional accounts no profile is set up. Whenever I try and log into these new accounts, I get the message: 'The User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded'.

In browsing the internet, one solution is to create a new acccount, but all new accounts have this problem. Another solution I have found is to repair the registry (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList) for the appropriate user accounts, but there is no key for any user account except my main one.

If anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated.

(BTW this is Windows 10 Home)

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi SimBrett,

Welcome to the Forum.

First and foremost, when adding a new user the one adding this account must be signed in with a Username that belongs to the Administrative group.

Second, after adding the account, you need to sign out, then sign in to new account so Windows can create its User Profile. Once it gets past the nag screens and you are on the new user's Desktop, simply sign out and log back in with your own account. You will then see their user profile in your Users folder.

If you have all ready done the above, then give this a go instead and report back on how it goes:
  • Log on using a username that belongs to Administrative Group
  • Press your Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog
  • In the Run dialog type control userpasswords2 then click OK

Sample image

sample.png

• After clicking OK you will see the User Accounts window open.

Sample image

sample2.png

Click
    the Add button

• After clicking the Add button a new How will this person sign in window opens. In this window click the Sign in without a Microsoft account (not recommended) hyperlink.

Sample image

sample3.png
  • This will take you to the Add a user window where you need to click Local account

Sample image

sample4.png

• Next fill in the four fields with the username, and password you want, and a password hint too, then click the Next button.

Sample image

sample5.png

That takes you here:

sample6.png

Click
    the Finish button to go here:

sample7.png

Assuming you see your new account here click the OK button

• Now back on Desktop simply left-click on Start then right-click on Account icon and Sign out

Sample image

sample8.png

You'll end up at the lock screen so click this and then select the new user account and sign in to that.

The nag welcome screens will appear and once you are logged into Desktop repeat above steps to sign out, then simply sign back in to your usual account and you should now see the new user profile in your C:\Users folder.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Bumping this - I'm having the same problem, and these are the steps I took to create new accounts. They show up in these screens, but there are no profiles actually created, because they can't be logged into. I get the same error message - "The user profile service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded."

Ask a Question