Using mail

Reaction score
i'm now using win10 and when i do a search online and i find i need to send an email, i click on the email link and win10 opens up a email program. i want to open yahoo. i use yahoo and i'm getting tired of coping and pasting the email link into yahoo mail. so how do i set up win10 so when i click the email links it opens up my tab i already have in email to go there and enter the link in send so i can enter the subject and body of the message. windows 7 did it find and chrome did it fine.

i use chrome fo a browser but i did in 7 and had no issues. but now 10 gives me this small separate email program and i don't want to use it. it would nt be to bad if the replies i get came to yahoo mail but they go into nothing i never see them. thansk bp.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You change it in your settings.....settings/apps/default apps/ then select email and change it. By default windows 20 uses the mail app which I despise. I use outlook 2016 that's part of my Office 2016 suite.

I'm not sure you can set it to use a web-based email such as gmail or yahoo mail. Looks like you can with Chrome for Gmail.

Reaction score
i don't have internet explorer. so that link fails me. i do not want to use messenger it is a pain. all i want to do is if i click an email link to have yahoo mail open and enter the email in the send. it worked in 7 and in chrome but not in 10 for some reason. i tried a bunch of things and it just eludes me.

Reaction score
i think i found it. if it works i went to start apps mail setting create and yahoo. but then it was the same thing it opens a box with the mail and i can send for this but i don't get the replies in to it or my yahoo mail. i even set notifications for yahoo mail to pop up so i knew i had something but they don't stay. and when i go to my yahoo page nothing is there not in spam or trash or junk or inbox or sent box. this is getting old. i have to copy and paste into the yahoo email tab i have open. there must be a way. thanks.

Reaction score
i don't have internet explorer. so that link fails me.
I still am able to use Internet Explorer in the latest Version and Build, it is located in Start, W section, Windows Accessories and can be Pinned to both Start and Taskbar. There are times/occasions when IE is most useful.

Reaction score
i went there and opened explorer but i did not see a place to switch to yahoo. i don't want to change my email as i have used this one for 25 years and like phone number everyone knows it and uses it. yea i get spam but just spam it again. i hate changing phone numbers and my email. besides it took me 20 years to remember it.

i guess i will just have to get use to it. some will have a fix sooner or later. thanks.

i can get yahoo to be my default email in win 10 but what happens is when i click an email link it opens the windows 10 email page. i want it to open the yahoo mail just like if i was to go to yahoo and open the email page. the page that windows opens is windows email and i can send an email form this but for some reason if someone replies to that email i do not see it anywhere. i have no idea where the return mail goes. or is there some setting i have missed that gets the return mail to my yahoo mailbox.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Corvair Bob This may work for you. Open Outlook.com mail, try and create a new MS account eg
Corvairbob(at)yahoo.??? You have nothing to loose.

Reaction score
thanks norton but i really don't want to learn a new email program if i can help it. otherwise i would just use the one in win10.

Reaction score
I just highlight the email address and copy-paste it into my email program which is also a different program from any MS and not Yahoo, either.

Reaction score
yes i do that now but in windows 7 i did not have to do that, if i clicked on an email link it went to my yahoo mail and pasted it into the send field. that is what i would like to happen now. not have a windows sub email program open and then send form that one.

if the win10 email program would have all my folders in it then it would be fine, but i have folders to put emails that i need to save and i do not want to have to build them all back if i can help it. that is why i was asking if it is possible to just have the link open my yahoo mail. it looks like it will not do it. bu someday someone will make it happen and by then i may be back to chromebooks again they worked flawlessly . thanks

Ask a Question