Using Windows 10 "off the grid": relentless Search pop-ups and reminders

Reaction score
Hello,

A friend living in a cabin in New Hampshire "off the grid" is having terrible problems with Windows 10 while he's trying to write a book while not connected to the Internet. Some processes, adware, pre-installed programs, or incomplete updates keep popping open the Search pane and reminders that "You're not connected."

I can't find an "offline" mode in Windows 10 (outside of the gaming stuff, where you can play games from "the Store" offline), and he's already tried everything that I suggested such as turning off touchpad gestures, various notifcations, and other potentially intrusive options.

Is there any way that he can write a book uninterrupted while offline on Windows 10?

Thanks!

Reaction score
It might be worth trying: Go into device manager and actually uninstall the device drivers for any networking devices. W10 really, really likes to be connected all the time...even when it is installing itself.

Presumably your friend repairs to a cafe every so often to get in touch for a bit...he'd have to reinstall those drivers then which should be a quick process as they will be still on the machine.

Reaction score
Thanks! I let him know about this idea. Meanwhile, he said that he's using "airplane mode". (D'oh! Hadn't thought of that). If that it doesn't do the trick for him, he can proceed with uninstalling the networking device drivers.

Reaction score
I use Firefox as my browser, at the top right there is a toolbar; click on "File" and select "Work Off Line" I assume IE, Edge...are similar.

Ask a Question