SOLVED Using Word Pad in Win10

Reaction score
When I have one Word Pad document open and want to open another blank Word pad document, I was able to do so by Right clicking the Word Pad Icon which would result in have two open on my desktop and I could switch back & forth between them. However, this no longer works in Win 10. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Jenny,

Once you open Wordpad, or any other application for that matter you will see its icon in the taskbar.

If you are currently working on a wordpad file but want to open a new instance of wordpad, simply do the following:
  • Press and hold down SHIFT then click on the icon in task bar to open a new instance

Tip # this can also be done from the Search Box, or a pinned application on the taskbar

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using the middle mouse button on the taskbar icon works for me, but I have read that it seems to be dependant on which mouse hardware you are using.

Reaction score
Hi Jenny,

Once you open Wordpad, or any other application for that matter you will see its icon in the taskbar.

If you are currently working on a wordpad file but want to open a new instance of wordpad, simply do the following:
  • Press and hold down SHIFT then click on the icon in task bar to open a new instance

Tip # this can also be done from the Search Box, or a pinned application on the taskbar

Happy computing.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you so much. That worked. Also, I did some experimentation and found that if I go to the Start Icon and click on the Word Pad Icon there, a new blank document will open up. But I think it is easier to follow your suggestion.

Jenny

Ask a Question