Version 1607

Reaction score
I have three computers that have not yet been updated to version 1607. One indicates that all updates are up to date. One tells me updates are waiting and gives me an INSTALL NOW button. The third is hung up on trying to install updates to Microsoft Silverlight over 77 times. All three are setup to install all updates automatically. So my question is should I go ahead and install it on the computer that has the install button? I'm assuming yes but then how do I get it on the other two so they are all running the same thing. Second, I would like to know what to do about the Silverlight issue. Since Silverlight only appears on that one computer does that mean it is obsolete? Can it be safely deleteed?

Thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ottiliegirl,

Re the computer that will not successfully install Microsoft Silverlight:

Microsoft provide a solution to that here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/kb/2608523

On that page you can click a button and let them automatically resolve issue, or you can follow their instructions at bottom of page to do it yourself manually. You can also download the latest Microsoft Silverlight there once removing the current one and install it.

Re all three computers not yet updated to Anniversary update - Have you chosen to not do this? If not, then does your ISP have a bandwidth limit for uploads/downloads that you may have exceeded? I ask as that may explain why you have not yet done this. Since the Anniversary Update, another cumulative update was released with in effect is another full install of the latest Windows 10, and since that one another cumulative update which was relatively minor and only took a few minutes to install.

Could you clarify please.

If you are keen to install the latest on all three computers you best bet would be to download the ISO file and create a DVD or USB install disk which would allow you to update all three computers, one at a time of course, but save you downloading several gigabytes three times.

If you would like to do it that way I or someone else who sees your responses can walk you through how to do this.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thanks for that article on Silverlight. I plan on dealing with that tomorrow. As for the automatic updates all 3 computers are setup for auto download but 2 of them indicate they are up to date when they are not. I don't know anything about ISP bandwidth limits. What more can you tell me about that?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well your Internet Service Provider (ISP) who you pay each month for access to the internet sells you a package, which allows you to go online, download data or upload data.

Here in New Zealand there are different packages. The cheaper deals allow you typically 20GB of data each month which for most people is plenty. If you are willing to pay for more you can get more.

I know overseas some ISPS sell you unlimited data use. Each ISP does their own thing.

As you have three computers - I assume each of these computers goes online using the single Internet Account you pay for each month. As they are all auto updating, that means you in effect are downloading 3 x the data someone with only one computer would be; which in turn means you may end up exceeding your data limits if you chose a limit per month versus unlimited.

Some ISPS cap the limit, so when you reach it they prevent further downloading. Others allow you to exceed the limit you paid for, but then either restrict your download/upload speed, or charge you extra fees per MB of data you exceed your limit by, or do both.

You can call or email your ISP to check what plan you are on, if you are not sure. But that information ought to be displayed on your monthly bill too.

Reaction score
I have unlimited data use. Also, that would not explain why 2 computers indicate that I have received all applicable updates when, in fact, I have not. We are missing something somewhere. Can you shed any light on that?

Regedit32

Reaction score
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update is being rolled out gradually - so it could simply be your registered machines are not yet on the list for them to provide it to.

To be able to update to the 1607 version you need to be at least on the 1511 version now, so if you've been using an older version that could be why.

Depending on what version of Windows you have, your Advanced Options for Windows Update may have the Defer Upgrades box checked. If that were the case you'd need to remove that check to allow the Anniversary Feature Update to come through.

Obviously, the wuausrv.exe (Windows Update Service) needs to actually be running, but in your case it would appear it is. If it was not running then simply typing net start wuausrv in an elevated command prompt would get it running, or press Windows key and S together, then type Services and press Enter key then scroll down and right-click on Windows Update and choose Start

You could consider running the Windows Update troubleshooter in case there is some issue you are not yet aware of. To do that press windows key and S then type troubleshooting then press Enter key and in window that opens at bottom under Maintenance and Security click Fix problems with Windows Update

If none of that seems to resolve things then as I said earlier you can download the ISO image and install it that way. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Reaction score
You were spot on with your advise. The troubleshooter found and fixed a small problem on two of my computers. After the fix both computers had upgrades to 1607 starting. One is finished and running very well and the second is about 3/4 done. Thank you so much for that tip.

The other computer had the Silverlight problem. Since it doesn't appear that is a program I need or want I deleted it. Once deleted the system began installing 77 upgrades to Ms Office. Then I got a message to "click here" to download the anniversary edition which I did. I don't see anything happening but I got a message that Windows upgrade assistant was running. I'll keep a close eye on that.

Keeping my fingers crossed for compete upgrades. When that happens I will mark this post SOLVED. Thanks again for great input.

Reaction score
Upgrading to version 1607 was unsuccessful on both computers. I clicked on "UPGRADE TO ANNIVERSARY EDITION" and got a message that both computers passed the requirements for the upgrade and so it proceeded. When finished both were still on version 1511 build10586.545. I don't know if I am knowledgeable enough to attempt what the article you referenced earlier is telling me to do but I will read it again, more thoroughly, and see if I think it is something I can handle. Failing that, I guess I will just have to sit and wait. If you have any further input I would welcome it. Thank you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ottiliegirl,

Some Users have experienced this issue when one or more of the following conditions are true:
  • They have a third party antivirus program still running during the update process (i.e. they did not temporarily disable it, or uninstall it if there is no option to disable it)
  • They have additional devices connected to computer via USB ports (for example a spare Disk for storage, printer that is turned on, etcetera)
  • Their computer has multiple partitions for one hard drive or SSD each of which contain different versions of Windows which were not eligible for an upgrade (i.e. Windows Vista or earlier), or that they have more than one hard drive or SSD with other Windows versions not eligible for upgrade — in both these scenarios, going into your BIOS and ensuring these drives or partitions cannot be accessed during upgrade will resolve this

Could you report back if any of the above would be true for you?

Reaction score
TWO DOWN! I honestly don't know how this happened. I was working on attempting to backup this computer and my Seagate portable storage unit was plugged in. I was in the middle of reading the manual when a screen appeared and said something to the effect that I should not shut down because updates were being installed. After a few shut downs and restarts I now have 1607 on this machine. Apparently things were going on in the background that I didn't even know about. That leaves just one more to go. I'll keep you posted.

As far as your last post - My Norton antivirus has been running continually on each of these computers while attempts were being made to upgrade them. Also, as I mentioned above, this computer had an external drive connected and the last one that needs upgrading has my printer connected to it and continually ON. It's obvious that the external backup had no adverse effect because the upgrade was successful.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

Yes even once its installed there are some things going on in the back ground so a restart can help clear the queue per se and result in changes being recorded to the Registry.

I use Norton 360 myself, and when installing the updates and right-click the System Tray icon for Norton and disable smart firewall and Auto-Protect mode permanently, then re-enable them once everything is installed.

After installing the Anniversary Update I did get an odd message claiming Norton was not compatible and thus Windows Defender was automatically enabled. To resolve that I simply turned Defender off, then manually started Norton and checked for updates. 2 downloaded and its worked fine since.

So far I've not have any upgrade issues in terms of installing cumulative updates or the Feature Update.

Technically you ought not need to disable antivirus or disconnect devices, but for some users doing this has helped them get the Feature Update installed.

Reaction score
I will try again on that computer after disabling other devices and Norton. In the meantime, on the computer that did upgrade - it is driving me crazy with notices that "I need to fix my Microsoft account so that apps on my other devices are able to launch apps and continue experiences on this device". when I attempt to go into my account it is asking me at least 6 times to enter my password and each time nothing happens except that it asks for it again. Finally it let's me in but there is no indication of what it is that I am supposed to fix. Any thoughts on this or does it belong to another forum?

Reaction score
I have windows 10 pro version 1607 love it no problems solid as a rock, did all the updates needed on this asus x55c all is good so far.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My HP Laptop updated to 1607 without problems....however when I come out of sleep (open the lid) I have 100% disk use for many minutes each time. Looking at what is causing this is tricky as it is not one obvious program or app. but a few? Any way to narrow this down? I did turn off prefetch which did help.

Reaction score
Turn off indexing on the drives? I have a SSD for C: and indexing turned off on D: which is a spinner.

Reaction score
Tim Thanks. I was going to try that on my desktop last night however it was in the middle of the 1607 update. I will check both my laptop and desktop tonight. I have been thinking about putting a SSD in my HP laptop. It has a 750Gb HDD drive. Wonder if I could put a ~500 in...HP tattoos and restore partitions sometime make it difficult to reduce disk size...at lease in the past. (I am about done with HP and will assemble my next desktop with parts I like:))

Reaction score
I replaced a 500 Gb disk in a Lenovo laptop with a 256Gb SSD. Made a big difference to speed and battery life.
So if you can slim down whatever is one your laptop to a reasonable figure then go for it! 500 GB SSDs have got a lot cheaper recently...wont be long before a 1Tb SSD would be affordable.

Reaction score
I did not buy that model for HDD space. I ripped about 50cds to mp3 and not much else on it. I see Crucial has a 525GB for a little over $100...pretty cheap. I will check tonight when I turn off indexing.

oops getting off topic....

Reaction score
Well 2 days ago I wanted to check email before heading to work. After waking laptop and see 100% disk usage I left it for about 10 min...still 100% so I just closed the lid and left. After turning off indexing I timed it at just under 2min however it is usable (but slow) during the 2min...MUCH better thanks.

My guess is this is about how it has always been however when I open the lid now I have to press POWER to start Windows. Until the 1607 I could just open the lid and resume in about 15-30sec. I still have LID set to SLEEP not hibernate??

(I never like to install a big update when it rolls out. I wait for at least the 1st or 2nd patch...had no choice this time....thanks MS for pushing this.)

Ask a Question