Version 1909 File Explorer Search

Reaction score
I am having the worst time with the search in File Explorer ever since I loaded the Version 1909 update. First of all, I don't like the way that the opening to type in does not allow me to expand the length of it. Also I am not a big fan of the way that the list comes up and I can't change the way the list is sorted. I wish that they would not try to improve something that worked so well.

Of course I recognize that I am not the only person who uses it and what I think works does not necessarily work for anyone else.

The other problem I have is that it feels like most of the time, I have to restart my computer to get it to work at all. I have tried restarting the File Explorer but it doesn't help. I can't click in the space to type and it feels like the machine hangs so I have to restart to try again. My computer is older and takes a long time to come up so I generally leave it running but locked when I am not using it.

I am looking for a simple way to restart the search mechanism without restarting the whole machine.

Reaction score
One choice other than restarting/rebooting the computer is open Task Manager, locate File Explorer [renamed from Windows Explorer in earlier versions of Windows but still shows in some places], right-click it and choose/click Restart.

Reaction score
The changes made to file explorer in 1909 really are not good. The search function where you key in search criteria works some of the time and other times is stagnant. Why does MS mess with something that is working.

Reaction score
The thing I don't like is I can't just paste a word in the Explorer search box with my mouse.
I have to press CTRL + V to paste the word.
Yes, I'm lazy, but Windows should give us the option of using one-handed mouse operation,
and keyboard operation.
Could this be another Explorer bug?

Reaction score
Could be a hardware issue, have you tried a different mouse in your computer or your mouse in a different computer?

Reaction score
If I Google your issue, it looks like a widespread problem with 1909.
It's unfortunate that we all have to go through this break then fix Windows 10 routine.
We will just have to wait for an update fix from Microsoft.
To leave on a good note, I notice the search box can be dragged with the
Drag to enlarge searchbox.png
mouse cursor to increase its width. :)

Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a minute for the search bar to register my cursor so I can type in a search for a file. THEN, I'll be told that the file doesn't exist, so I try again and search for "My Documents". That doesn't always work. Sometimes, I'll get a screen that puts me on the internet. It has been like this since I bought the computer.

Reaction score
I noticed a couple of Windows 7 machines of friends that recently got upgraded to Windows 10 1909,
have the exact same issue with Explorer search box misbehaving.
It appears Microsoft has released the update (KB4517245) without full testing.
I decided on my machine, to uninstall the 1909 update as others on the internet have done and go back to 1903 version.
It was quick and painless (computer restarted 2 times), and now Explorer search works again.
I don't know if friend's computers have the same update (KB4517245) that I had,
as my machine has been continuously upgraded from Windows 8.
If they don't, guess they will have to wait for fix down the road. :)

Reaction score
Further, if you use Advanced Query Syntax in the search field, it is no longer highlighted in blue to indicate correct syntax. This is helpful as this is incompletely documented.

I reverted to 1903.

Reaction score
There appears to be an update that fixes a number of Explorer search box issues that is available for download (KB4532695) when upgraded to 1909.
Updates an issue that causes a grey box to appear when you search within Control Panel and File Explorer.
Updates an issue that prevents File Explorer's Search Bar from pasting clipboard content using the right mouse button (right-click).
Updates an issue that prevents File Explorer's Search Bar from receiving user input.
For me, it works better at about 99% success.
The best thing for me is I can paste into the search box.

Reaction score
What? Something funny here.
That's the same update I read that messes with the Cortana taskbar search.
Fix one search break another.
For me both search types seem to work ok. I hardly use the one on the taskbar for it is mostly for searching on internet.

Ask a Question