View picture icons

Reaction score
When I go into my Pictures folder, I could see the image, so was easy to select what I needed.
I wanted to save my pictures to a flash drive and it said I didn't have permission to look at my own files...no kidding.
Anyway, if finally let me in but now all the photos are showing the "photo viewer" logo for every folder.
Is there anyway to change that back. It doesn't matter what I choose, (large icons or small icons or content), I only see the "photo viewer" logo.

Thanks,
Cheryl

Edited to add: I still don't have permission to access my own pictures, so that is why the icons are still there and not the original image....help!

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi hayley3,

Open File Explorer and then open your Pictures folder [ or any other folder ]

Now in the top ribbon of File Explorer click the View tab then on the far right side double-left-click on Options

folderoptions1.png

In the Folder Options dialog that opens select the View tab then remove the check next to Always show icons, never thumbnails, then click Apply followed by clicking OK

sample1.png

Note: If you have multiple folders with pictures [ perhaps folders you personally created ] then before clicking Apply at the top of Folder Options dialog click the Apply to Folders button then click apply button followed by clicking the OK button.

sample2.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I did all that but the issue is now it says I don't have permissions.Thank you for that detailed post.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Is the file permission issue only occurring in the C:\Users\<username>\Pictures folder?

Or does this occur in other folders that contain general files too (e.g. Documents folder)?

Reaction score
I have two hard drives. One that I use as storage and the pictures are on that. If I load that storage drive (E) with the pictures, then I can access the Pictures folder. If I load the C drive first, then I cannot. Not sure that's important but thought I should say.
All of this was working fine though til I had to reinstall Windows 10 on Drive C.

Ask a Question