SOLVED Virtual PC2007 stalling windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
I have windows 7 Home Premium installed which replaced Vista. When attempting to upgrade to windows 10 get message that virtual pc2007 must be uninstalled. It is not installed nor is the update that I have read on other postings. Have attempted using REVO uninstall but that cannot find anything. Have look at all the posting here but did not find anything that looked like my issue. Has anyone seen this issue>

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Virtual PC was replaced with something called XP Mode.
Do you have that installed?

Reaction score
I do not have XP Mode. Have done many searches on machine looking for virtual. Installing Windows 10 the message was very specific to virtual pic 2007.

Reaction score
Have tried downloading virtual pc 2007 to do just as you suggest and receive message back that it was not comparable with my pc. Had seen that on other blogs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And you are certain you are not trying to run the 64 bit installer on a 32 bit machine?
Have you tried running it in compatibility mode?

Reaction score
I was certain it was 32 bit but just in case attempted again today. In addition to message you are not running on supported system I also got a second message "You must uninstall previous versions of virtual PC before installation." This started searching again and found old windows 7 upgrade adviser and within that virtual pc2007 showing it was compatible which I am taking is it was on the vista version of the operation system I upgraded from. Went into program files folder and found folder MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC. Looking in this folder is the app "VIRTUAL PC". Running the cursor over the name shows this is virtual pc 2007. Unsure if all I now need to do is manually delete the app.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Unsure if all I now need to do is manually delete the app.
That's probably not going to do it. If it is there, it's probably in the registry as well.
Look through the contents of that folder and any subfolder it has, there may be an uninstaller there that might work.

Reaction score
After Checking for any registry entries in HkEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...... And finding none delete virtual pic app and started Windows 10 install. No error and it is now completed.
Thank you for help and it was getting me checking on items I might have originally missed.

Reaction score
I was certain it was 32 bit but just in case attempted again today. In addition to message you are not running on supported system I also got a second message "You must uninstall previous versions of virtual PC before installation." This started searching again and found old windows 7 upgrade adviser and within that virtual pc2007 showing it was compatible which I am taking is it was on the vista version of the operation system I upgraded from. Went into program files folder and found folder MICROSOFT VIRTUAL PC. Looking in this folder is the app "VIRTUAL PC". Running the cursor over the name shows this is virtual pc 2007. Unsure if all I now need to do is manually delete the app.

I had the same issue and this is the answer. Delete "Microsoft Virtual PC" folder in C:\Program Files (x86). Then continue the Win10 install.

Ask a Question