SOLVED Virtually locked out of my own computer

Reaction score
Well done Microsoft! I turned on my computer as usual this morning to be faced with a message to log in to my Microsoft account, I was unable to do this as it would not accept my password, so clicked on the dismiss button at which I received a message that I would be unable to access my files without signing in! After a lot of bother I will not go into I finally managed to get a new password and sign in. It now appears that I have to sign in with the Microsoft password or set up a PIN to sign in with. My computer is my own, there is nobody else that can use it, so why should I have to sign in to my own computer each time?
I am computer literate, was previously an IT teacher and keep myself up to date with developments and keep my anti-virus and software up to date I object to being treated like an idiot in this high-handed manner. I should have at least been told that this would happen and given an option. Once again Microsoft's breathtaking arrogance knows no bounds!

Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you, sorted. That was not really my point though. It is the fact that Microsoft seem to think that they can impose this kind of thing on users without any warning. It caused me a lot of unnecessary hassle. Frankly, if I was new to computers this would be enough to put me off for life!

Reaction score
Well I was fully aware of this because of the addition if the store and Onedrive. Apple and Android started this way before MS. I believe it's a good thing that MS did this. I was aware of this during Windows 8 and as I did Beta testing for Windows 8 and 10. I view it as a good thing.

Reaction score
I really don't believe this. On turning on my computer this morning I now get the following message 'We can't sign in to your account' and requesting that I sign out of my account and back in. In spite of doing this several times nothing has changed. I also changed my Microsoft password. I looked in my settings and the log in requirement is unchecked. I am at a loss as to what to do next.
This appears to be due to an update yesterday!

Reaction score
Sorted - yesterday's update changed my keyboard to US! Since when am I in the United States? If Microsoft cannot get these updates right they should take more time testing them before forcing them on people and causing problems. I wasted nearly 2 hours today trying to get back into my computer!

Reaction score
Sorted - yesterday's update changed my keyboard to US! Since when am I in the United States? If Microsoft cannot get these updates right they should take more time testing them before forcing them on people and causing problems. I wasted nearly 2 hours today trying to get back into my computer!

Microsoft is always testing using the insider program to test changes before they are released to the general public. They have the most thorough Beta testing of anyone.

Reaction score
I am having to change my keyboard back and log in (despite having disabled the password requirement) every time I restart my computer.
Anyone got any ideas as to what I can do about this. I am thinking that maybe this is due to another program or app, perhaps my Avast antivirus.

Reaction score
Is there anyone technical out there? Would it help to uninstall the update that seems to have caused the problem plus the one that came afterwards and update again?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It now appears that I have to sign in with the Microsoft password or set up a PIN to sign in with. My computer is my own, there is nobody else that can use it, so why should I have to sign in to my own computer each time?
yesterday's update changed my keyboard to US! Since when am I in the United States?
I am having to change my keyboard back and log in (despite having disabled the password requirement) every time I restart my computer.
Personally, I believe that at some point after all these frustrations I think I would have created a new local account, made him a member of the local administrators group and made sure that he didn't have a password and that's what I would be using by now and long ago said bye bye to the MS account, at least until such time as I could get that particular problem resolved completely, once and for all.

Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

That's it..... JohnSmith is a new local user and member of the Administrators Group with no password. So no issue with keyboard issues at login as there is no keyboard required.
AND
NO.... it doesn't have to be JohnSmith, it can be any Tom, Dick or Sally.

Ask a Question