SOLVED Virus will not let me use recovery or reset.

Reaction score
Hello, my little brother recently downloaded something that seemed to have a virus on it. Now chrome keeps opening up random websites even when I'm not on the app. I've tried to do a system restore but the moment I click on it the program closes instantly even in safe mode. I've tried to go into the advanced trouble shooting setting but it seems to completely bypass that and go straight to the login. To make matters worse, he turned off my Windows defender and the program will not turn back on as it keeps getting an error. I'm currently running MRT to see if it can find the solution. If not is there anyway to completely reset my Windows?

Reaction score
I would certainly attempt to run CCleaner and Malwarebytes and see if they turn up anything.
If you happen to be running a third party AV program, disable or uninstall, and try setting up Defender again. On ocassions, I've had to temporarily (Web protection) disable Malwarebytes to start Defender.

Reaction score
Hi Darkula,

you can boot from your recovery partition (or a USB stick/DVD) and run setup as if you were doing a new install, choose "Upgrade" and re-install W10, all your files will then be in a a folder called "Windows.old", you can copy and paste your files to the new folders (docs, pics etc) and then delete the "Windows.old" folder, it should overwrite the system files thereby deleting the virus infected system files!. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR C:/ DRIVE!. :)

Reaction score
I would certainly attempt to run CCleaner and Malwarebytes and see if they turn up anything.
If you happen to be running a third party AV program, disable or uninstall, and try setting up Defender again. On ocassions, I've had to temporarily (Web protection) disable Malwarebytes to start Defender.

I tried your suggestion but it turned off both the anti- virus and bitdefender. I downloaded malwarebytes but it wouldn't let me open as it said it was hazardous. I was the administration in that account btw.

Reaction score
Hi Darkula,

you can boot from your recovery partition (or a USB stick/DVD) and run setup as if you were doing a new install, choose "Upgrade" and re-install W10, all your files will then be in a a folder called "Windows.old", you can copy and paste your files to the new folders (docs, pics etc) and then delete the "Windows.old" folder, it should overwrite the system files thereby deleting the virus infected system files!. DO NOT FORMAT YOUR C:/ DRIVE!. :)
Thing is it won't let me go into the recovery partition at all. I was thinking of doing a clean disk drive as most of my important stuff are on an external hard drive.

Reaction score
Then use the "Media Creation Tool" and create a new USB stick/DVD, read through the info here and boot from that!:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-73822 :)
Thank you so much for the help. It took a while as something was blocking the setup to be complete. Fortunately I found a forum that allowed me to download malawarebytes through the admin block and managed to delete whatever was blocking that setup. Other than that, I managed to get a system restore, although now I think I may may have deleted a file that allowed me to make windows boot fast now :confused:. Regardless thanks so much for the info. Now if you'll excuse me, I may need to make a post about how to return the file again.

Reaction score
Can you post the information that allowed you to download malwarebytes without being blocked?

Reaction score
Hello, my little brother recently downloaded something that seemed to have a virus on it. Now chrome keeps opening up random websites even when I'm not on the app. I've tried to do a system restore but the moment I click on it the program closes instantly even in safe mode. I've tried to go into the advanced trouble shooting setting but it seems to completely bypass that and go straight to the login. To make matters worse, he turned off my Windows defender and the program will not turn back on as it keeps getting an error. I'm currently running MRT to see if it can find the solution. If not is there anyway to completely reset my Windows?
Try downloading and running Norton Power Eraser (from a Norton web site only)

Reaction score
scan for rootkits

Ask a Question