W10 Blank Icons and Restricted Actions

Reaction score
Hello Guys and Gals,

it's my first post but I guess many people start their accounts when they encounter an issue.

Since this morning my PC has been playing up and I could not find an answer anywhere online.

After logging in, most of the icons on the desktop appear blank, with many new ones without the name. I cannot open anything, right click on the desktop only shows View, Sort By and Refresh. I cannot open the start menu, I managed to run explorer exe but cannot open any folders on any of the drives. The services loaded on startup are also limited (no antivirus for example) and a peculiar thing I noticed is that the CPU is constantly running at 43-44% for no apparent reason.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As a simple test try.....
At the sign-in screen, don't sign in.
Hold the shift key on your keyboard and use the power icon on the bottom right and choose restart.
Advance through the trouble shooting screens to Startup Settings.
When you arrive at the appropriate screen select #4 Safe Mode
See what your desktop looks like in Safe Mode and see if the Start Button and menu seems to work.
If so give it a minute or two and simply reboot your machine normally and see what that produces.

Ask a Question