W10 Testing New Long Path Extension Tips?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I upgraded to Win 10 today and had enabled the Long Path in Group Policy to see if its really true that Windows 10 can go beyond the 260 char limit.

But When I tried copying a folder from my computer to my Sea Gate external drive, it wouldnt copy still and had the same problem of being too long.

Heres a picture
2017-06-10-00h49-50.jpg

Heres showing the GpEdit enabled
2017-06-10-00h53-12.jpg

Reaction score
I just created a .dox file (long path disabled.) with the same name,
" Georgian Architecture_from_buzzle.dox" no problem saving the file file.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Did you read the requirements for that Policy setting?

Enabling NTFS long paths will allow manifested win32 applications and Windows Store applications to access paths beyond the normal 260 char limit per node. Enabling this setting will cause the long paths to be accessible within the process.

What are the odds your application is not manifested win32?

Based on your posted image samples, I assume you are using a application called ScreenPreso. That application must explicitly declare whether it is manifested win32. If it does not do this, then the Group Policy will not accept any Long Paths from it.

That explains why Norton was able to create a working scenario as he was using an application that does explicitly delare itself as manifest win32.

Thus, I would be checking whether there is an updated version of your application which hopefully does follow the standards set from Microsoft Vista onwards, and declares explicitly.

Failing that, use another application.

Last edited:

Ask a Question