SOLVED W10 Upgrade ready to be installed but I never requested it

Reaction score
I have Windows 7 Pro 64bit on a desktop and I have never requested the W10 upgrade. Two days ago when I went to Windows update I got a surprise. The screen below showed up!
upload_2015-10-15_11-48-17.png

My update options was changed to automatic from notify me and I can't install some real W7 updates waiting in the wings.
I worked with Microsoft Support for 2 hours yesterday evening and nothing has really changed. The Get Windows 10 app KB3035583 was uninstalled and so was KB2952664. If anyone has any ideas on how to get the Windows Update screen back to allowing other updates I would appreciate them. I'd like to be able to put the waiting updates on and put W10 on sometime later this year. I don't understand why I am being forced to do the upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you used the "Show all available updates" link just under that Windows 10 upgrade box?

Reaction score
Yes, and it shows at least 8 W7 updates but there is no button to install them just the Get started one and if you click on that the W10 download starts. I am only interested in ridding my WU screen of the W10 upgrade until I am ready to allow it to be installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am only interested in ridding my WU screen of the W10 upgrade until I am ready to allow it to be installed.
What I have used in the past on a few machine with success is
Windows10BlockerHider.zip
There is a link down the page a bit located here https://www.weavweb.net/2015/06/13/...-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-area-tray/
Extract the zip file to a folder and run Step1 let it finish and reboot your system, then run Step2 let it finish and reboot your system.
Hopefully that will take care of the issue.
You may also notice a file / folder in the root of C:\ named $WINDOWS.~BT or something very similar, you may want to redeem some space by getting rid of that also.
You may have to take ownership of it as well as grant your user name explicit full control in order to do so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just saw this
Now, it looks like Microsoft has mistakenly enabled an option on Windows Update for Windows 7 and 8 users which enabled the Windows 10 update to download automatically. The company mistakenly enabled this optional features by default for Windows 7 and 8 users with a recent update, which will get fixed soon. A Microsoft spokesperson told the folks over at Ars Technica:
SOURCE: http://microsoft-news.com/microsoft...to-download-automatically-on-windows-7-and-8/

So evidently you are soon to have a lot of company.
Not good Microsoft..... not good at all.

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble. It remains to be seen just how they are going to get the fix applied since the only thing allowed under Windows Update on my PC is W10 Upgrade. If they publish a downloadable fix which can be independently installed without Windows Update maybe then I can get back to normal. I will wait.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It'll probably be something like a standalone installer as is often available for normal windows updates as well.
I'm sure that they'll figure it out. The only question is....... when??

Reaction score
This may explain why on another of my W7 pc's I use for testing suddenly was forced to install W10. I got out of the WU and took a full backup and then let the W10 upgrade happen. I noted all the things that happened and I have an idea of the things to expect on this heavily used PC when I actually do its upgrade. Thanks again Trouble.

Reaction score
I used the GWX Control Panel latest version to fix up my stuck Windows Update panel and get rid of not yet wanted Windows 10 update.

Reaction score
I have a Techie Friend that says this very thing happened to a Vista machine. He was doing some cleaning and like not have caught the install process to shut it down during bootup. My question was how this could happen on Vista. It's bad enough on 7 and 8 machines. But Vista doesn't allow an upgrade path, or qualify for free upgrade. Windows 10 license would need to be bought after an automated update.

I wonder if this is a one time freak accident or if other Vista machines are being upgraded automatically.

Reaction score
Very cool.
Just checked it out over on Major Geeks http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html
Glad you found something that worked for you. It might very well prove helpful to other members and guests as well, so......
Thanks for sharing.
Not sure how much we can believe or not to believe. But since gwx is mentioned, here is an article regarding both subject matters

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2993...ly-appearing-as-mandatory-for-some-users.html
Published October 15th.

Reaction score
I used the GWX Control Panel latest version to fix up my stuck Windows Update panel and get rid of not yet wanted Windows 10 update.

Good one. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it is added to my collection, a couple of which don't do the job correctly.. Thanks for the tip.

Ask a Question