W10 wi-fi problem

Reaction score
Desperate for Dell W10 help. Have 3 computers on network, 2 with W7 (1 desktop HP and 1 laptop Dell) and Dell W10 laptop. Main computer (DT) connected to ATT gateway. Other 2 connected via wireless.

W10 has no network connection. Bluetooth/Ethernet say "disconnected" w/ red X. Troubleshooting message says "there might be a problem w/ adapter" and "network cable might not be properly plugged in or may be broken".

Followed instructions from Microsoft/several other user forums/paid troubleshooting service related to "wireless network experiencing problems". Still no wireless connection. Have gotten messages that "driver(s) are working correctly and are best for W10 and that "no usable driver found". Used the uninstall/ restart option. Still no network connection. Received suggestions to update drivers which I cannot update since I can't get on the internet.

Why is there a message that Ethernet is unplugged since two W7 computers are not a problem. No problem with tablets/phone on same network. W10 linked to ATT network via wi-fi.

Have had new W10 laptop for 5 1/2 months, have only gotten about 2 months of use in Nov/Dec, 1016. Previous problem with network credentials. No internet on W10 this year.

Message that Ethernet is unplugged w/ red X also on old W7 laptop but can get on internet.

Have had 2 computer tech here in past 3 weeks in addition to an on-line tech service without any solution.

Reaction score
Reaction score
You are using an AT&T Gateway and no other router? Did the techs reboot the gateway and check for any firmware updates?

The red X normally means you are not connected to a Network. If your network adapter is disabled it might show for that. If you unplug the Ethernet, it will show, as you probably realize.

Have you tried just one system to get it online? Win 7 might be easier to check and would not involve any Win 10 updates which do, at times, seem to cause problems for certain devices.

Reaction score
I checked my Dell Laptop that's running Win 10. The MS Wifi Direct Virtual adapter #2 isn't installed. Just the MS Wifi Direct Virtual adapter is enabled.

Ask a Question