Wanted easy to understand info.

Reaction score
OK, I am a long way from being a brainy young 12 or 13 year old so please keep that in the back of your mind. Over the last 17 years or so, I have had a lot of fun and success with both Nero and Roxio CD burners. Now I have just had my Windows 8 upgraded to Windows 10, and would like some information on a FREE Burner to install. If somebody can give me the exact link,
as I don't like it when I see FREE and click and get a heap of prices, or I click and suddenly find I am downloading some other COCK AND BULL.

With heaps of confidence,
Cheers,,,,,,Simmo.

Reaction score
It appears that Windows 10 has a cd/dvd burner built in. I am running 1607 14393.693 ( latest) on a conventional Intel desktop.

I just tried it, first time I have burned a disc in many years.

Inserted a blank DVD ( only blank disc I had handy)
Selected a folder within my music library of an album ( previously downloaded from the band's web site)
Selected all the files in there and ^C for copy.
^V for paste to the CD/DVD drive ( E: in my case)
Windows comes up with a dialog box showing the files and then asks if I want them written to disc as if it were to a thumb drive or as a music disc. **
I selected the latter and clicked OK.
Then to start the process I clicked Burn to Disk in the properties of the CD/DVD drive and up came a new dialog
that said first Preparing to Burn then a progress bar then the usual Finishing the Disk.

The PC then ejected the disc. I reinserted it and clicked Play and Lo and Behold up came Windows Music Player and it showed the album cover ( which I had copied along with the files) and played the first track.

** I presume that if I was writing data that I could have copied a whole dvd worth of data or an ISO at this point and would have selected 'thumb drive' not music disk.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, could you give me a clue where to start like which program, or where it is in Documents etc.
Thanks Mate.

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, could you give me a clue where to start like which program, or where it is in Documents etc.
Thanks Mate.

??? There is no separate disc burning program. It is all built in to File explorer. Load a blank disk. Copy all your files you want to burn to that disc ( they wont actually copy at that instant.. there will just be a list of files) And then just select Burn to Disk in the Properties of the CD/DVD. That is the point...it is all built in to Windows. You don't need to buy anything.

If you are making a bootable Windows OS disk from a download the procedure IS different. Search this forum for "rufus" and you will see how to do that. Rufus is free by the way.

Reaction score
It is also part of the "Windows media Player" You will find it in the file menu - Windows accessories.

Reaction score
Other Alternatives:

1. http://www.anyburn.com/
    AnyBurn is a light weight but professional CD / DVD / Blu-ray burning software that everyone must have. It provides a free and complete solution for burning. It is completely free. You needn't pay for this Free Burn software!
  2. http://www.glorylogic.com/true-burner.html
    True Burner is a compact, easy-to-use and free burning software, which enables you to make and burn standard, multisession and bootable CD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc with various file systems, including ISO 9660 and UDF. With True Burner you can create Data and MP3 Discs, DVD-Video
  3. http://www.burnaware.com/download.html
    BurnAware Free - For personal use Fully functional version

Ask a Question