Warning on restore points on Windows10

Reaction score
I discovered that, when our systems were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, Microsoft failed to activate the System Restore feature in the update. I have now activated it for all our main hard drives. I find that when Windows 10 updates, it first does a system restore, but only if the user has activated system restore on his own PC. Those that haven’t activated this feature have no way to restore their systems to an earlier time if an update fails, as it did on my wife’s computer last night at shut down and on start up this morning.

Right click on start, click on search, type 'create restore point"
Click on result 'Create a restore point' and the system restore screen will appear
In Protection Setting box, make sure that your hard drive (usually it's the C drive) is turned on. If it isn't
Click on Configure and click 'Turn on system protection' circle and click Apply and OK

It might be wise to do a system restore right away to set a restore point. If something happens to your system, at least you can restore it to the settings that are now in effect. It only takes a couple minutes and it's certainly worth the time.

Reaction score
I have found that Windows 10 restore is hit or miss any way you slice or dice it. I use a 3rd party backup program for my restore points. Once upon a time I would manually set restore points and when Windows updated the update wiped all restore points. Seems as that problem no longer exist as the last two updates didn't faze the restore points. But I still rely on the the 3rd party program.

Ask a Question