WDS and Windows 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am turning to a forum for support as Microsoft and Dell are unable to assist. Scenario:

I have a Windows 7 Dell E5450 laptop that i have upgraded to Windows 10 via the Microsoft Free upgrade tool. I have then installed all the apps we generally use within our business and then used Sysprep to prep the machine for capture to our Windows Deployment Server. This image has now gone through and is available for install. I have installed the image to the same machine to test it works and i get asked for the installation key for Windows 10. I am told by Dell that the Dell E5450 has it's Windows 7 product key inserted on to the motherboard and they are unable to give me the code.

I was wondering if anyone else had managed to use WDS with Windows 10 to deploy a machine as at the moment i am not sure where to get the code from to complete the installation. Also is the issue because i am also completing the free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the same time?

Regards,

Reaction score
Oh just to add, we are using Windows 7 Pro > Windows 10 Pro and not the enterprise version in the above scenario.

Ask a Question