"we couldn't update the system reserved partition"

Reaction score
NOTE:
My primary C: drive (boot disk) is a Samsung SSD 500GB. I installed a new fresh copy of windows 7 on the SSD drive. My original C: drive is in the machine and is my G: drive. this drive was given a new drive letter, but was never formatted. It has all of my applications and the original Windows 7 installed.

I receive the following message during update, from 10041 to build 10130, and the update fails.
I have read that the Res Partition is not required for Windows 10; is this correct?
I have read here the fix is to shrink my main partition and increase the Res. partition. the problem is the increase feature is gray, it cannot be selected.
Any Suggestions short of reformatting my drive.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think it would help if we understood your objective here.

Typically in the past when I have had multiple operating systems that I wanted to boot into on my system, I used a technique called multi-boot, rather than dual booting, in which I would disconnect the drive that contained my other (perhaps primary OS) and let the second operating system install on the hard drive I selected for that purpose. After which I would reconnect the first hard drive and use one of the "F keys" to evoke the boot menu and then select the drive I wished to boot into. The choice of which " F Key" to use is BIOS dependent and can often be seen as an option during the POST (Power On Self Test) portion when first starting your machine.
That process will leave the boot manager files separate and independent on each individual drive and should allow you to overcome your issue.

There are probably any number of third party software options that will also let you manipulate your disk partitions (EaSEUS Partition Master) as well as their location and contents (EasyBCD) however, using such programs requires a certain degree of understanding and requisite skill.

Ask a Question