SOLVED What accounts are necessary for a one-person PC

Reaction score
Good morning

I am troubleshooting my husband's computer. He has major issues getting the computer to boot up in the morning so I am starting at the beginning and checking what accounts he should have. It has been set up to by-pass password login.

Settings/Accounts shows:

Name
Email Address
Administrator

He has a MS account.

I ran the command prompt wmic to get the full list of users. There are 6 listed - all are LocalAccount TRUE and Lockout FALSE.

1. Built in account for administering the computer
2. User account for technical preview managed by the system; this is the only one that shows his name
3. User account managed by the system name=DefaultAccount
4. Guest account
5. HomeGroupUser$
6. NVIDIA software updates (I have read about this)

Is this how it should be?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks normal enough to me.
That is..... I don't see anything that would suggest a problem that would be contributing to
He has major issues getting the computer to boot up in the morning

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're welcome.
I might recommend a clean boot. It's simple, easy to do, easy to undo, I use it all the time when working on other people's computers, it's one of the first things I do.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for 10)
Good luck and happy troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Trouble - thank you - I was considering a Reset which is a bit drastic not to mention it will take me ages to re-install most of the programmes. I will try a clean boot. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Trouble - after the clean boot is it a matter then of enabling the startup stuff one at a time until I run into a problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep.
First you want to determine if a Clean Boot actually makes anything better.
Then you want to very deliberately start enabling items (both startup items as well as the non-Microsoft services) you disabled rebooting after each change to consider the impact.
You need to be a little bit logical when doing this, you might note that some startup items may have an associated non-Microsoft services, so you want to enable both to actually be able to assess the impact with any reliability.

Reaction score
Not sure if this is going to work as in the previous situation, if the computer was re-started during the day ( after the initial boot that had to be re-set a few times before it actually booted ) , there was no problem re-starting. It was the initial boot that was/is the problem.
So re-starting after I restore some services may not really prove much. May need to wait until tomorrow morning to see if it has made a difference. Will keep a record of what I enable/disable.

Ask a Question