SOLVED What happens to my key?

Reaction score
Hey guys, how are you all doing? Well here's the thing. I'm using Win 10, but my notebook came from the store with Windows 8.1 pre installed right? So, I wonder what happens if I make a clean install using Windows 7 and use an alternative activation method? Will my original key be 'stored' somewhere in case I want to upgrade again? Or using another activation method will like .... 'replace' my original key?

Reaction score
I wonder what happens if I make a clean install using Windows 7 and use an alternative activation method?

If you clean install Win 7 over your current Win 8.1 or Win 10, you will be asked to enter Win 7 product key almost right from the beginning. I don't believe you can proceed if you do NOT enter the Win 7 product key.
What is " alternative activation method " ?
We are talking about installing Win 7, not Win 10. Right ?

Will my original key be 'stored' somewhere in case I want to upgrade again?

By "original key " you meant the Win 8.1 product key or Win 10 key ?
If you meant Win 10 key, you will have to install Windows 10 the same way as before.
Either by.............
1. Through Windows Update
or,
2. Download the Windows 10 ISO file and do an in-place upgrade install.

If you meant Win 8.1 key, please ask this question at our Windows8Forum......
http://www.win8forums.com/

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you clean install Win 7 over your current Win 8.1 or Win 10, you will be asked to enter Win 7 product key almost right from the beginning. I don't believe you can proceed if you do NOT enter the Win 7 product key.
What is " alternative activation method " ?
We are talking about installing Win 7, not Win 10. Right ?

By "original key " you meant the Win 8.1 product key or Win 10 key ?
If you meant Win 10 key, you will have to install Windows 10 the same way as before.
Either by.............
1. Through Windows Update
or,
2. Download the Windows 10 ISO file and do an in-place upgrade install.

If you meant Win 8.1 key, please ask this question at our Windows8Forum......
http://www.win8forums.com/
By "alternative activation method" I mean cracking it. And yes, we're talking about installing Win 7. I bought my Dell notebook with Win 8.1 pre-installed right? So when Win 10 came out I just had to upgrade it through Windows Update in order to make my license valid to Win 10, after that, I made a clean install, actually I did that several times. But I'm kind of tired of Win 10 and Win 8 so I'm willing to go all the way back to Win 7 but I do know that I need another license key to do so, because my Win 10 (or 8) key will no long work with it. So my question is "Will I lose my original license key if I downgrade to Win 7 and illegally activate it? If I eventually want to upgrade again, will I be able to use my original key? Is it going to be 'stored' somewhere?"

Reaction score
Once you do a clean install of Win 7, your Win 8.1 key is free. However, Win 8/8.1 key is embedded in the bios. That is why you do not see the key labelled anywhere on your computer.
I don't know how to extract that key. Which is why I gave you the link to our Windows8forums.

As to reinstalling back to Windows 10.................
What I told you in my last reply still apply.

Reaction score
Once you do a clean install of Win 7, your Win 8.1 key is free. However, Win 8/8.1 key is embedded in the bios. That is why you do not see the key labelled anywhere on your computer.
I don't know how to extract that key. Which is why I gave you the link to our Windows8forums.

As to reinstalling back to Windows 10.................
What I told you in my last reply still apply.
So you're telling me that I can install Win 7 using a Loader "letting my key free" but since it's embedded in my bios I can "get it back" at any moment?

Reaction score
So you're telling me that I can install Win 7 using a Loader "letting my key free" but since it's embedded in my bios I can "get it back" at any moment?

No, I am saying I don't know how to get it.
Ask the folks in Windows 8 forums and they should be able to help you. I can't.

Reaction score
One last info you need to know.

If your Win 7 is not genuine, you won't get to upgrade to Win 10 for free.
Free Win 10 upgrade applies only to genuine qualified Windows, namely Window 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Ask a Question