What I don't like about W10 so far...

Reaction score
Hi, I just launched Windows 10, it doesn't look so bad, actually it's quite good, but there are few things which I don't like about design and I hope they will change it soon (just my opinion!). The first thing is Control panel, which was replaced by Settings and it's also quite difficult to find it. Second: I don't understand why they changed the selection box, it's almost invisible, which could be a disadvantage for someone, I think the old one (filled with colour) was much better. And the third one is change of Change volume box, which is now placed horizontally, not vertically. These are just small details and a hope I get used to it if they won't make some fixes of it. Of course there are more complications like slower system launching, folders bugs and inability to shut down Skype :D , but it should be fixed in future updates.

Thanks for reading this

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @Figggo :)

I'm sure there will be 3rd party tweaks available in the coming months which will allow you to change some things to your liking, although I'm sure over time we'll get used to these changes :). I quite like the new volume slider :D

The old control panel is still there - I find that pressing the Windows Key + X is a very helpful shortcut, as it lists lots of the common shortcuts that may be needed (including the control panel).

Reaction score

I'm sure there will be 3rd party tweaks available in the coming months which will allow you to change some things to your liking, although I'm sure over time we'll get used to these changes :). I quite like the new volume slider :D

The old control panel is still there - I find that pressing the Windows Key + X is a very helpful shortcut, as it lists lots of the common shortcuts that may be needed (including the control panel).
I know the old Control panel is still there, but it's not as visible as it used to be. The new volume box isn't bad, but when I saw it for the first time, I was quite surprised :D And could you tell me, what's your opinion to almost invisible selection box? I think the old one was better...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I quite like the blue selection box, however if you've got the stock blue/black Windows desktop then I see your point - it shows up ok on white backgrounds (for example in Windows Explorer). If it's mainly a problem on the desktop then perhaps switch wallpapers and see if that helps :).

Reaction score
I quite like the blue selection box, however if you've got the stock blue/black Windows desktop then I see your point - it shows up ok on white backgrounds (for example in Windows Explorer). If it's mainly a problem on the desktop then perhaps switch wallpapers and see if that helps :).
That's right, it depends on the wallpaper and monitor settings. But I still don't see any reason, why they've changed it :) :D

Reaction score
Please let MS know your concerns. Windows 10 is going to be a continuous upgrade.
I've sent few feedbacks, but I don't think it will help. There are too many requests there. But u r right, there are going to be a lot of upgrades and updates and whatever :D so it could be fixed in future updates. And if not, I don't mind as I said, these are just small details which I can get use to it :)

Reaction score
I don't really like anything in 10 to be honest. I can't customise active windows or browser bar colours (I dislike that everything is white), I dislike the tiles in the start menu..... I think I'll go back to 8.1. I'm very disappointed in this release

Reaction score
Well, there will be a lot of fixes in few days I hope. I have to admitt that the inability to change browser colour is annoying. And if you don't like Start menu tiles, you can try to delete all the tiles there and it could maybe disappear. I'm not pretty sure about that, but it's not bad idea in my opinion. If I were you, I would wait a few days/weeks, maybe they will fix all of these problems. Try to send a feedback to Microsoft... :)

Reaction score
It's too late, I've wiped it and gone back to my previous version of windows 7. A far better system for me personally. I found if I upgraded then had to install loads of 3rd party add ons then it defeats the object. I don't understand why they take features away, just leave them for people who wants them

Reaction score
Regarding the Control Panel I fixed the problem by pinning it to the taskbar.
I should have done this long ago.

Reaction score
Why did windows 7 have to be changed in the first place? Everything since has been awful - windows 8/8.1 and 10 are all horrible. We are forced to have app's on our pc on windows 10 that we can't uninstall. WE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO CHOOSE WHAT WE WANT ON OUR EXPENSIVE COMPUTERS. Also I have a thick black line down the centre of my desktop display. Changing the wallpaper doesn't work and it doesn't appear on my external monitor. I will certainly not be upgrading any more of my computers to this pile of rubbish they call an improvement!!!!!

Reaction score
I'm not crazy about the look of the gray bland windows update, I like the look of 7/8/8.1

I'm also waiting to see if MS re introduces AERO glass back, as I've read somewhere. I re did the W10 desktop some and using the black color on the task-bar it almost looks like I have the glass effect.

I still find the start menu (start menu X) I used on 8 is still better than what is now on 10 so I continue to use that.

other than that I guess I can handle it :)

Reaction score

Frustratingly, I have had to input once more all my tiles providing shortcuts to favourite web pages. Even worse, there doesn't seem to be a facility to rename tiles so what appears doesn't make it obvious what web site they refer to.

Reaction score
My biggest complaint (so far) is my touchpad reverts back to the default settings every time I shut off my PC .
I have to go into the control panel and reset it every time I start. :(

Reaction score
continuing to mess with 10,

I find a lot of my program folders are missing in the "all apps" listing. and for some reason the programs I run aren't being listed on the side opposite of the area where those tabs were, I took all of them off, and now have a few items I could pin there. Clicking on the exe within a folder using explorer doesn't seem to get them to stick there. Only if they show up in the all apps list can you do that. (my settings are set to use/show them) I can't seem to find how to just "reset" this startmenu back to default settings, the one way I found is no longer useable on this build version.

Also, have screensavers been removed? I remember there was a setting in the themes to select one, I don't see it now.

edit: OK found something here on this
http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-open-screen-saver-settings-in-windows-10/

For now I still use my 3rd party startmenu 10 ,(used to be startmenu X) it gives me all my programs and I can add any folder. Also just tried the IObit start8 menu, it seems to be OK too, but limited from the one I use now, but not bad.

Another weird thing is this narrator keeps coming on at every reboot, I have all settings for it OFF, but the thing still seems to want to run each boot-up. nothing in the startup about it either. Still trying to find how to stop this thing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
continuing to mess with 10,

Another weird thing is this narrator keeps coming on at every reboot, I have all settings for it OFF, but the thing still seems to want to run each boot-up. nothing in the startup about it either. Still trying to find how to stop this thing.

This is my problem but with the Touch pad settings.
I'm so tired of having to go into the control panel every day to reset. :(

Reaction score
No complaints apart from I cant make the taskbar transparent white!!!! the dark theme is nice and the colours are cool but would be nice if you could have a light [glass effect on the taskbar] not sure how that would look with the start menu. But wow Windows 10 Pro [clean install] has blown my mind so far....absolutely love it.

*I migrated from Win 7 ultimate to Win 10 Pro. Used Win 8 Pro for 2 days and gave it up..!!!

What I love......
  • Lighting fast power up/power down.... [although I am using Samsung 850Pro SSD 1TB]
  • Cortana is great [so so much potential].....
  • Snapping windows together using keyboard commands....
  • Ability to watch 2 videos with independent sound from each side by side using snap!!!
  • New virtual desktops wow....
  • Cmd prompt cut/paste/selection shortcuts....
  • Customisation options....
  • Sexy settings menu and icons....
  • Notifications menu....
  • The fact that wireless is on soon as you power up....
  • Better sound quality and volume increase.....
  • Love Mail and Calendar

What needs improving/upgrading......
  • Cortana commands, note taking, dictation, closing apps or programs using Cortana...snapping windows using Cortana and power down/ restart using voice commands.
  • More apps optimized for PC in app store.
  • Windows apps [tile customisation]
  • Mail and Calendar upgrades.

Reaction score
What I would say to people who are having issues is try this....
  • Take the free upgrade to Windows 10.
  • Then Use media-creation-tool to make bootable Windows 10 dvd/usb.
  • Format all your drives, remove partitions then [Clean install] Windows 10.
  • Will solve a lot of teething issues.

Ask a Question