SOLVED What is Service Host: Spot Verifier in my Win task list?

Reaction score
This has been running for maybe a half hour occupying 20% of my cpu making my cooling fan run fast and pushing a lot of heat out of the fan exhaust. Do I need this? It says if I cancel it Windows will fail? Help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'd let it run.
According to this

It appears to be a normal windows service which "verifies potential file system corruption".
Mine is set to "Manual (Triggered Start) so my guess is that something fired it up to perform its' duty.
My guess would be something in task manager or perhaps some troubleshooting that is attempting to find a problem.

Reaction score
I'd let it run.
According to this

View attachment 9809

It appears to be a normal windows service which "verifies potential file system corruption".
Mine is set to "Manual (Triggered Start) so my guess is that something fired it up to perform its' duty.
My guess would be something in task manager or perhaps some troubleshooting that is attempting to find a problem.
I killed the task. No good reason for a task that I didn't initiate to consume 20% cpu. One minute after I cancelled it the fan calmed down to normal. We'll see what happens.

Reaction score
I killed the task. No good reason for a task that I didn't initiate to consume 20% cpu. One minute after I cancelled it the fan calmed down to normal. We'll see what happens.
What happened? I'm having serious performance problems and that's taking significantly more than anything.

Reaction score
I had this for a short period yesterday.
I did an error check for the C drive and it disappeared after a reboot.

Not sure if I just were lucky or if the errors on the drive caused the issue.
Worth a test for anyone facing this issue at any given time and finding this post.

Attachments

• image_2022-01-20_033442.png
    image_2022-01-20_033442.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 289

Ask a Question