What might the new mini-Start look like?

Reaction score
Those damned squares is why I don't like (aka: use Win8 OS) Windows 8 Start Screen.

Besides why put a touch oriented start menu on a mouse oriented desktop? On another thought, there is no need in having Start Menu items larger than the Start Menu button. The touch interface has those items larger for a reason, which would mean the Start menu button would need to be larger as well. This whole concept is migrating away from the desktop. If you are going to migrate, why screw up the desktop doing so? The desktop works just fine as it is, I'd like to keep it that way until touch develops more. It is ridiculous to think developing touch, means changing desktop functions for a mouse and keyboard.

Reaction score
I see what you're saying.

The idea behind my concept was, it could maybe work for both touch and non-touch screens. I thought maybe having a start menu that gave you customizable tiles would be nice, because right from the Start menu, the live tiles could give you the weather forecast, see friend updates on Facebook, control your music, or get a glimpse of your email/calendar events. Think of it as like having Android widgets in your Start Menu. Plus, you would be able to resize them to be as big or as small as you prefer. I like the idea of integrating a variety of different internet services that the user wants into their desktop environment, so they don't even need to open a web browser to access them.

There's also an "All Apps" button next to the search bar, which would change the entire menu to show a list of your installed programs, just like in Windows 7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Made another concept picture to go with the first one. This new picture displays what would happen when you click "All Apps", shown in the first image. The "All Apps" button will also change to a "Back" button, so when you click it again, it takes you from here, back to the tiles screen from the first image. So the "All Apps" button is really a toggle button of sorts.

Hope you like it! ^^

windows_9_start_menu_concept___part_2_by_lodmot-d7buuzi.png

Reaction score
Not bad! I kinda like it. The next guy may not like it, but I do.

Referring to the second image of course.

Reaction score
Not bad! I kinda like it. The next guy may not like it, but I do.

Referring to the second image of course.
Thank you. ^^

Lol. The funny thing is, it's still part of the original concept design. But as I said before, you would be able to set it so the Apps list is the first thing you see.
One of the ideas behind this design is customization and user preference. ^^

Reaction score
I was hoping that the Start Menu was going to be in the 8.1 update. But a preview of the new Start Menu was shown at Build.
This article has a pic of it. No doubt it will change. And there seemed to be some hints that it *might* be in a later 8.1 update/patch whatever they want to call it.

Ask a Question