What update?

Reaction score
What was the update that autodownloaded while I was away over the weekend, took forever to reboot my PC, only to tell me that it failed to install? It did it to a friend's box too.

What strategy should I adopt now?

Reaction score
The latest update was KB3194496 which is a cumulative update. In a cumulative update it appears all the Windows System files, or many of them, are replaced. This response is assuming you were up to date prior to this weekend. If you want to check what should be on your system, use the Learn More link below the Looking for latest updates on the Settings-Windows Update page.

The update will probably try again so you might disconnect any external devices you may have attached and see if it will finish. You could download the update and run it manually.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Have you had problems before with any updates?

Reaction score
KB3150513 & KB3185614 were installed on 15/9, nothing since.

Never had an issue with updates to date, not on the box.

Reaction score
KB3185416 was an update for the previous build, 10586. So it seems you have been missing some updates. Maybe the Cumulative update takes care of those prior updates.

Reaction score
From those numbers it sounds as if the PC was running the old build, with those updates on 15/9 and then got the anni edition at the weekend for which 3194496 is the latest cumulative update. Presumably from post #4 that Windows did finally successfully install the anniversary update and the cumulative update

Reaction score
OK. 3194496 along with 3176935 & 7 stuck last night - and flushed out the history of all previous updates, it seems.

Reaction score
If the update history disappears, some type of repair operation may have happened. If it went from 10586 to 14393, that would have cleared the history. You should, however, show KB3176929 but if not maybe it wasn't the build upgrade and something else was being repaired.

If you want to check which updates should be on that system, use the link I referenced earlier.

I turned on a system yesterday which had not been on since the initial 14393 upgrade. It went through all of the updates which included an additional 6 just for Windows.

Ask a Question