When Buying a Used Computer...

Reaction score
Same as buying a new one. The fellow bought a refurbished tower with Windows 7, and it ran well. He upgraded to 10 and came up with problems I had never heard of.

A search on the web showed that it is a Windows XP computer.

Reaction score
One reason I have not put my wife's pc onto 10 is that it was a Vista computer.
Good idea, Tim. We have a thread somewhere about that. Any Vista computer can probably run 7 or 8, and can then be upgraded to 10. But the older architecture of the hardware normally makes this a bad idea. Unfortunately, MS keeps trying to get you to upgrade to 10.

Reaction score
I'll tell you my experience : I had a man who ran a small computer shop put together a desktop for me. He installed Windows Vista 32 Bit (this was a while back).

When Windows 8 came out I bought a upgrade disk, then upgraded to Windows 8.1, I saw no difference.

When Windows 10 came out I upgraded to 10, for free. Then I got a game that needed a 64 Bit OS. So I went to the upgrade page and downloaded Windows 10 Home 64 Bit to a USB Flash drive.

I then did a clean install, got my 64 Bit OS and the game runs fantastic. I really like Windows 10, after I got all the prying eyes (I hope) off me.

Good luck and have a good one: Paul

Reaction score
I'm sorry I didn't mention the up grades I did, before I installed Windows 10 (I just realized this was about old hardware compatibility with Windows 10). My computer has a build date of 08/28/09. The MB is a ASUS P5Q SE PLUS , CPU was a Intel Pentium D 3.00 GHz , 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz , Video Card was a GeForce GTX 8800 (I don't remeber, that may have been a upgrade), HHD 256 GB ?, PSU is a 375 watt ?
Years ago I put a GTX 560 in it ($100.00 used)
So before I upgraded to Windows 10 I put in a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.00 GHz which I OCed to 3.82 GHz ($100.00 used) and a CoolerMaster EVO 212 Hyper ($25.00 after rebate)
Then after I upgraded to 64 bit, I put in another 4 GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM, that makes 8 GB's.
(the RAM cost me a little under $50.00)
I had problems with Win 10 32 bit, screen freezes, losing video driver connection, and and other BS.
I just want to say it runs beautifully now. It's like a new computer to me.
Thanks for listening to me.

Ask a Question