When I hit the start button I get a Critical Error

Reaction score
When I hit the start menu to access the menu I get a large blue box that says
Critical Error
Your Start menu isn't working. We'll try to fix it the next time you sign in - sign out now

Problem is I keep signing out and signing back in but it does not fix anything ---Help

I should say it was working fine last night shut down normally no issues, start up today and I have the issue? I suspect an update but can not access rollback or even if one is available to be able to check.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the exact same problem.
Everything works perfectly on my second account though. But I really do not want to use that account since EVERYTHING I need is on this one. It will be a pain in the ass to move everything onto that account

Reaction score
I too have this problem. It repaired itself once. Since then, every time I try to access the start menu, whether via mouse click or windows key I get the "critical error".
Additionally, the action center is also non-functional, although no "critical error" here, just non responsive.

Reaction score
I too had this problem this morning. Every time I signed in it said the same thing "we will try and repair net time you sign in. I went to restart and it started loading updates "do not turn off your computer" and then windows is starting. It was fine everything back up and working. Frustrating as I use the files for our farm and without it starting I was lost.

Reaction score
Tip don't use Microsoft help wanted 165.00 dollars to fix it. I said what about warranty he just pointed me to the forum. Duh already done that. Surley if microsoft are going to give it away they should have 2 warrant it.

It was a brand new win 8 laptop so nothing bodgy on it at all. Brandnew.

So now i am back on win 8. 165.00 bucks to fix what they broke no way a___holes

ClP

Reaction score
Tip don't use Microsoft help wanted 165.00 dollars to fix it. I said what about warranty he just pointed me to the forum. Duh already done that. Surley if microsoft are going to give it away they should have 2 warrant it.

It was a brand new win 8 laptop so nothing bodgy on it at all. Brandnew.

So now i am back on win 8. 165.00 bucks to fix what they broke no way a___holes

I have the same issue. Did you use the "downgrade" feature in Win 10 (and dit it work?) or dit you do a complete reinstall of Windows 8?

Reaction score
I did the roll back option and it worked sort of, i still had to go back to the laptop manafactirer and reload drivers and some other fidgeting to get it back to original format. But it was close i very nearly gave up and pushed the restore to original manufacturers settings ie format and start again

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I encountered this issue twice. My Windows 7 machine was upgraded to Windows 10 and the error appeared just before the 30 day return option to 7 ran out. I reverted to Windows 7 and then reinstalled Windows 10. All worked well for about three weeks and the error reappeared once again. This time I found a restore point two days old that was made right after a critical update. With nothing to lose I tried to restore the machine to this restore point. Absolutely worked. Still had to do some updating and clean up but I'd say give it a try.

I suspect I have some older software creating the failure. I uninstalled all the old software I think I will not need.

Ray

Reaction score
Have the same issue...very frustrating! Cannot believe Microsoft have not issued the fix as promised!!
Have tried to follow the instructions on "boot to safe mode" however "power icon" has disappeared.
Would like to revert to Widows 7 however 30 day period has lapsed.
MICROSOFT what is the answer?

Reaction score
You know the restore point at least got my start menu back. I experienced the issue three times but, knock on wood, I believe it may be fixed. I believe the culprit was HP printer software causing the issue. I uninstalled the software and the problem has not reoccurred. I'm using the HP ap instead of the All In One HP software. I am far from being a computer guru so my solution may be wrong but at least my start menu works.

I agree Windows 10 on the Windows 7 machine is a bit buggy however at some point Microsoft will fix the problem. But again, uninstalling old software seemed to work for me.

Reaction score
For me it was Dropbox causing the issue.

When I uninstalled Dropbox and deleted the DB folder from ...AppData\Local & ...AppData\Roaming, The start menu was back to functioning.

Reinstalled DB, everything seems to be fine.

Reaction score
Removing Dropbox, renaming dropbox folder worked for me also. reinstalled dropbox from ninite.com, start menu still works. thanks

Reaction score
Unbelievable as it sounds, I have had the critical error issue for more than a week. I've managed to do what I needed to do without the start menu, or a whole bunch of associated base functions - like calendar, calculator, etc etc .

I've now uninstalled DropBox and, incredibly, everything is now back working again. Except DropBox, of course, but I'll get over that.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'll be back again if that wasn't a permanent fix.

Ask a Question