SOLVED Where are my other user files?

Reaction score
I had a Windows 7 sp1 machine with two users, each with their own files. User 1 installed Windows 10 on the machine. How/where do I find the files for user 2?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Typically and upgrade to Windows 10 maintains all users files and folder (C:\Users\UserName)
At the sign in screen do you see another user to select as a login option in the bottom left of the screen?
Is this Windows 10 Home or Pro?
Regardless you should be able to see all users on the computer by opening an admin command prompt.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt Window type
net user
hit enter
do you see the user account you are looking for listed among the user list?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Typically and upgrade to Windows 10 maintains all users files and folder (C:\Users\UserName)
At the sign in screen do you see another user to select as a login option in the bottom left of the screen?
Is this Windows 10 Home or Pro?
Regardless you should be able to see all users on the computer by opening an admin command prompt.
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt Window type
net user
hit enter
do you see the user account you are looking for listed among the user list?

There is only one user shown at the sign in screen (user 1). In the Windows 7 mode it used to show both users. The 10 screen only shows one (user 1).
I don't know if this is Home or Pro. It came up as a free conversion while in 7.
The net user window brings up an Administrator (user 1) , and a DefaultAccount (not user 2), and nothing listed under Guest.
How do I open the DefaultAccount to see if it is really user 2?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The "DefaultAccount" is a catch all account which is used to base subsequent user accounts on similar to All Users and is not intended as an account to be used to log in with.
Typically C:\Users will contain all user's profile folder.
AND
You might have a look in C:\Windows.OLD\Users to see if the missing profile is listed there.

Reaction score
The "DefaultAccount" is a catch all account which is used to base subsequent user accounts on similar to All Users and is not intended as an account to be used to log in with.
Typically C:\Users will contain all user's profile folder.
AND
You might have a look in C:\Windows.OLD\Users to see if the missing profile is listed there.

Thanks for your help. I looked closer at the sign-in screen and did find three user buttons there, one being user 1, one being Administrator, and a third that took me to the user 2 files - what a relief. Is there a method to have both users signed in at the same time and be able to switch from one to the other without logging off and on?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a method to have both users signed in at the same time and be able to switch from one to the other without logging off and on?
Sure, it is still fast user switching it just doesn't seem the same but it still works.
Just click the Start button
At the very top left you will see the current user listed.
Click that and select another user from the list.

Ask a Question