Where are the Outlook email file settings?

Reaction score
I want to change some settings which control search in Outlook but I cannot find where Files is to select the appropriate options. I have clicked everywhere I can see, without finding Files (which I have seen referred to in an article).

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Right click on outlook and Account Settings will appear click on that and choose what you want to do

Reaction score
I want to change some settings which control search in Outlook but I cannot find where Files is to select the appropriate options. I have clicked everywhere I can see, without finding Files (which I have seen referred to in an article).

Which Outlook ?
Microsoft Outlook or Outlook.com ?
Care to post the link of the article you were referred to ?

Reaction score
I did not know Microsoft Outlook and Outlook,com were two different programs, How do they differ? As far as I can recall I have only ever encountered the Outlook which opens when I click the Taskbar email icon or Email Tile. It syncs with Calendar and People.

Right clicking the Outlook I am viewing (email client) does not cause Account Settings to appear, so it does not resolve my issue.

The article to which I refer is not online, it is in a paper magazine in the UK called 'Computer Active'. It is called 'Make Outlook search all folders at once.' It does not mention two different 'Outlooks' but only 'Outlook'.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Yes there is two.
They don't I think look to hard and realise there is two.
Also I have e-mailed them this week another error they have printed
Turn your favourites websites into windows 10 tiles saying you need to install chrome,
When I did it with Edge'

Reaction score
You are using the built-in Mail app included in Windows 10.
This icon looks familiar ?
Mail app in taskbar.jpg

Mail app is a very rudimentary app.
You are using Outlook.com. It is a very good web-based email program.
Use it as you did before Win 10. Forget about that Mail app.

FYI : What is the difference ?
There is Microsoft Outlook in existing for years. It is part of the Microsoft Office suits. It is expensive.

Mail app in Windows 10 is included in the operating system. A freebie.

Reaction score
Thanks both, I am learning quite a lot now about Outlook 1 and 2. Am I right in concluding that basically MS Outlook is a desktop client and Outlook.com is the website version? I was misled by the fact that the emails are exactly the same in both. So I did not pay much attention to the website version (plus my main email prog has been Thunderbird) but I see now that it is much more elaborate, including spam blocking for example which as far as I can see the desktop client does not have.

I too was interested in the tip about creating website shortcuts / tiles by right clicking browser icons. The article does not say it is available in 10. I could not replicated what is described for IE, Edge or Maxthon but got part-way with Chrome which does generate a 'most visited' list with pins. However, pinned websites do not open as described.

I have noticed that all the pins have minute 'no entry' symbols by them. I suspect this may be due to such factors as not having opened the sites for some time, the fact that I have not used IE or Edge a great deal, plus the fact that I frequently clear all browsing data (History, Cache, etc) and hence probably the data from which the 'most visited' lists are compiled no longer exists. This looks like something worth researching further.

Reaction score
Am I right in concluding that basically MS Outlook is a desktop client and Outlook.com is the website version?

Microsoft Outlook and Outlook.com are 2 different animals.
They are not related in any shape and form.
You are right in one aspect. Outlook.com is a web-based email program.
If you are satisfied with T-bird. Continue using it.
May I repeat.................. forget about that Mail app from Win 10.
Of course, my opinion is just that, my opinion and it can be highly subjective.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
Edge does that as well go to More Actions.
Open it and click Pin To Start
Go to tiles scroll down and it will be there
I have made my tiles smaller by clicking Resize

Reaction score
I am not entirely satisfied with Thunderbird for a couple of reasons. It receives 30 to 50 items of spam a day whereas MS Outlook has displayed NONE so far this year. I am mystified by this. I am not at all suggesting the difference has anything to do with the clients themselves as I know it does not, but it gives me a major motivation towards switching my usage to Outlook. Secondly, I have read that Thunderbird has security issues and may be on the way out. I seem to recall that Computer Active has said it should be ditched.

As I understand it now, MS Outlook is the same thing as the Mail app. Different names for the same thing, or different things with the same name, is not exactly helpful. (In another thread I have drawn attention to the fact that there are now two quite different Edge Browsers in use. one of the not associated with Microsoft).

Having now examined Outlook.com there seems to be a case for using both the Outlook email programs in tandem, using Outlook.com to get rid of spam? I can do something like this (and should use it more) with BTYahoo Mail and the BTInternet Mail which is the main account I use for Thundirbird.

I will give that procedure for creating a Tiles for Edge a try, though I don't, and don't intend to, use Edge much yet until it has extensions.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
I use Edge all the time, have disabled and uninstalled IE11.
I don't use CHROME at all and I can visit over 200-300 websites and forums with no hassle at all/
What I like about the mail app it notifies you via More Action when you have mail.
I used to use incredimail which was good but was too hog app and taking a lot of memory
Have looked at the other Edge and I think it is for a mobile device ready for when windows 10 goes mobile.
Once Edge is finished it will be better than CHROME or any other Browser.
Even at the moment I get no crashes or freezes with it like I was IE11
What I can add is that I am able to print E-mails from my printer now as Office 365 and Office 2016 works well with mail app.
Before I again had to use a third party app to print I used to have to copy and paste then sort it out before it would print now I just go to More Action open it click Print and once I have checked it just click print and away it goes

Ask a Question